Questions Answered by NiaLena Caravasos

Q: I asked for the discovery to my federal case and was told I couldn't get it.what can I do to get it?i have my adictment

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 25, 2018
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
There may be a protective order in your case, which could explain why you cannot have and/or see your discovery. However, you will need to know what the evidence is against you in order to make proper decisions in your case, so you can certainly ask your lawyer when she/he will be able to discuss it with you.

Q: We have DNA evidence. How do we connect with a criminal lawyer who isn't afraid. Please advise.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 29, 2016
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
There are many online forums, including Justia, where you can research the top criminal defense attorneys in Pennsylvania and then make your decision regarding who you wish to contact. Don't be afraid to reach out. If the person whom you contact is not the right one for this particular case, she/he will hopefully refer you to someone who is.

Q: Is delaying prosecution investigative misconduct

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 24, 2016
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
Your question is too vague to even begin answering it. You really should discuss this issue with a federal criminal defense attorney regarding the particular prosecution that concerns you and the investigation.

Q: Is the AUSA responsible for any request made by the federal goverment

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 24, 2016
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
Not necessarily. There is no simple answer to your question and everything is fact specific and case specific. You really should discuss your particular circumstances privately and in detail with a federal criminal defense attorney.

Q: The AUSA for the fed. gov. agrees to sit down and show the def. all the evidence they are going to present is it good/ba

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 18, 2016
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
This meeting that you describe is called a reverse proffer. It can be helpful for a defendant to understand the scope of the government's case. Keep in mind, however, that there is usually (but not always) additional discovery provided as you get closer to trial that would not be shown to you now, barring some special arrangement with the US Attorney's Office. You should discuss your situation with a highly qualified federal criminal defense attorney before deciding how to proceed.

Q: If you are staying in a hotel can law enforcement spy on you visually while in the room and record your conversations

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 12, 2016
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
Law enforcement would have to have a warrant in order to run surveillance and tap your conversations. They can only get such a warrant if they have convinced a court that there is probable cause of criminal activity by you and/or someone else in the room. If your question is more than just a hypothetical, I strongly suggest that you reach out to a criminal lawyer in Pennsylvania in order to further discuss your situation.

Q: How do i find out about a federal inmate court date if the his lawyer or p/o have no idea about it

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 17, 2016
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
You can register with Pacer (, which is the federal court database. That way, you can look up the federal defendant and read his/her court docket.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.