Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Stanley H Block
3 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: I did my sons taxes, he was audited I didn't handle it correctly, can it be fixed?

Filed on software on phone it told me he was head of household (not single) , claimed niece nephew, permission granted by sister, with whom he lived. first owed $2000ish now over$7000,threatening to take his possessions

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
answered on Nov 16, 2017

If you disagree with the results of the audit you may be able to file an audit reconsideration.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for California on
Q: When paying the IRS on back taxes, are the payments applied to the oldest or newest years first?

My husband and I have owed the last two years. To complicate matters, he had not filed his taxes for years before that. He finally filed everything and has been trying to get a payment plan with the IRS for almost a year now. I would like to just start paying on it but I want to make sure they... View More

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
answered on Apr 5, 2017

Typically the IRS will apply your payment to the oldest years first. However, if you indicate on your payment, " please apply to tax year XXXX " they should apply the payment to the appropriate year There are more intricacies in the question you asked and I suggest you have a consultation... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on
Q: I owe the I R S a little over 32,000 in back taxes.

A lot is due to Penalty and Interest what would it take to clear this matter up.

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
answered on Mar 29, 2017

It is my best suggestion to meet with a reputable tax resolution attorney, enrolled agent, or CPA, that offers a free consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for New Jersey on
Q: I filed my taxes with a tax service and they left out my 1099g form and are saying I never gave it to them, now irs is

fining me and the tax service is blaming me and will not explain anything to me other than my fault I have to pay

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
answered on Mar 17, 2017

When you sign a tax return above your signature reads the following: Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return and accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and accurately list all amounts and sources of... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for California on
Q: how much should i offer IRS offer in compromise

I owe the IRS $8994 2 adults 4 kids income dropped to $2300 my monthly expenses are more then income loans total of 18k we are having a very hard time we are getting a loan from a family member what is a reasonable amount to offer?

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
answered on Mar 6, 2017

Friend, you may be a good candidate OIC or CNC status. If you are unable to afford an enrolled agent, CPA, or attorney to help with this there may be some free help in your area. Call California VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance.) Also, many times the law school has a low-income tax clinic that... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for District of Columbia on
Q: I filed my taxes using TurboTax's free online service. Is there a way for me to "cancel" my filing and re-do them?

I feel that the amount I owe Washington D.C. is incorrect, and that I must have filed them incorrectly. I'd love to just "cancel" and start over.

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
answered on Mar 2, 2017

This may be software specific, but I do not believe you can "cancel" your return. You may need to amend if your return has already been e-filed and processed. However, if for some reason your return gets reject you may be able to make changes and resubmit.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.