Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Joy N Obiselu
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas on
Q: Can my son’s mother file for a review of order at any time? Even if we just agreed on a new orders after three years?
Joy N Obiselu
Joy N Obiselu answered on Feb 23, 2018

An order if modified less than a year or under three years just needs to show that there is a substantial and material change.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas on
Q: I did not pay child support to the state but to the mother who moved to mx with my child. Which problems could I face.

I have helped my child I see her all the time when I go to Mexico. She is still in school in Mexico and has a 4 year old daughter who she had at 16. She is now 20 and can assure that I have helped her. Also the mother signed a notarized paper saying that I have made all of my payments to her.

Joy N Obiselu
Joy N Obiselu answered on Feb 23, 2018

If you have a current child obligation or had a past obligation you need to make sure that these direct payments are recorded properly with the OAG especially if you have an order. The OAG has no way of knowing you made any payments to mom unless someone notifies them of this. Even still direct... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Texas on
Q: Do Judge's verbal ruling have to be written by attorneys always? and given to their clients? I live in Texas.

Judge found other party in contempt of SPO and fined them for that and for Attorney's fees. That was in January, 2017. Neither my attorney or other side's attorneys have written the order. I have been asking for it for over a year and I'm thinking of filing a grievance.

Joy N Obiselu
Joy N Obiselu answered on Feb 23, 2018

Typically, once a judge renders an order, it is the responsibility of one of the attorney's to deduce that order into a written form that can be followed by both parties. If you are having problem's try to reach out to your attorney some more and ask when they order will be entered. A... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Texas on
Q: Can my current husband adopt his step daughters if her biological father has nothing to do with her?

Even if her biological father still has his rights? Or can the state sever his rights?

Joy N Obiselu
Joy N Obiselu answered on Feb 23, 2018

A step parent cannot do a step-parent adoption without termination of one parent's rights. In this case- you will need to bring a combined suit to terminate dad's rights and a suit for step parent adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.