Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brad A. Thomas
1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Mississippi on
Q: Can SSDI or a vehicle be used to pay a judgement?

I am on disability and on Monday I had a judgement put against me for a credit card. The amount is under $3000. I have a 2010 Chrysler and a joint bank account with my husband. Can they place the judgement against the bank and make me sell my car?

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas answered on Dec 4, 2020

Private creditors are not allowed to levy your SSDI benefits to pay back your debt. The exception to this is if you owe federal debt to the IRS, child support, alimony, federal student loans, or court ordered victims restitution. SSI benefits cannot be levied or garnished by anyone. The second... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice and Social Security for Minnesota on
Q: Can I sue a med clinic/neuropsychologist for misdx of Early Onset Alz & not releasing med records to Mayo for tx?

Neuropsychologist told me I had Early Onset Alzheimer's (runs in my family), that I couldn't work anymore or be able to learn any new training/job. She later changed her report to say I had Mild Cognitive Impairment, Amnestic Type.

I went to Mayo in Rochester for a 2nd opinion... Read more »

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas answered on Nov 9, 2020

If you have a scheduled hearing coming up then you need to find a disability attorney as soon as possible because going to a Social Security Disability hearing on your own is not a good idea. You can use the "Find a Lawyer" tab at the top of the page, or call NOSSCR Lawyer Referral... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: Has SSD ever been approved while SSI was denied? Details

ALJ hearing a week ago. Today; SSA website-SSI declined.

SSD- "medical decision has been made and we are working to process your decision"

I have very little work credits. My question is has a SSD ever been approved despite few credits?

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas answered on Nov 3, 2020

It's impossible to give you a clear answer on this question due to limited information. If you do not have a disability attorney handling your case, then you can try calling the hearings office where your case is located and see if they may be able to give you some clarification. Otherwise,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Can CPS keep a child's survivor benefits that the child receives and not give it back to them when they turn 18? My daug

CPS kept my daughters survivors benefits she received from her deceased father the two years she was in their care. They told me it was in a savings account for her and then told her it was to pay for her care. Can they do that?

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas answered on Oct 22, 2020

They likely were able to do that. You can read more about the law in this situation here:

If your daughter was under the care of CPS for two years, then that means they had legal custody of her during that time and Social Security most...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: I have tried to get into my S.S. account, I have been to the office a lot. They send me home with a temp password, don't

help at all. When I sign in it says my information is not correct. I know my info. I have ask them to go into my account and see what is wrong. they won't do it. Today I posted on their page I was FED UP. So they gave me a number for help, I called and was on hold forever so I hung up. What... Read more »

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas answered on Nov 3, 2020

They most likely gave you the national Social Security phone number which is 1-800-772-1213 and unfortunately, the national hotline has extremely long hold times. I would recommend calling your local SSA office instead and see if someone there may be able to help you out. You can find your local... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: There was overpayment on family's Survivor's Benefits. Mother is in debt and was told this would not happen. What to do?

My siblings received survivors benefits on behalf of my deceased father until they turned 18. I had a disability that I needed to be supported as well, and after working with a Lawyer I was approved for benefits on the same account, with disabled adult child benefits. He said that this would not... Read more »

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas answered on Oct 22, 2020

I completely agree with Ms. Schaefer, the first thing you need to do is determine if the overpayment was incurred during that time frame of March 1 to September 30, 2020. If it was, then appeal or file a new waiver right away citing this recent regulation. If the overpayment was not incurred... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.