Lawndale, CA asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for California

Q: Can I sue a major hotel chain for damages i did not do but was still charged for?

I was at a Holiday Inn for two weeks. One night I ran a bath and fell asleep for 10 minutes. It over flowed and and soaked the carpet. The next day the manager told me it looked liked there was no damages. I was there for another week with no mention of it. When I flew home I see they charged my card $500. I called the manager now he says there WAS damages. I asked for receipts from the companies he said he hired, and he refused. Then he even accused me of leaving feces around the room (NOT true!!!) after I checked out. Then he hung up on me. I called and complained to corporate and after going back and forth with them, they would only tell me that they sided with him even after i again demanded to see pictures (wouldn't they take pictures?) and receipts and was refused again. They even repeated the feces story to me, so obviously the manager told them this BS story as well. #1, can I sue the company, #2 Can I sue him and/or Holiday in for slander against me?

(very condensed version)

2 Lawyer Answers

William John Light

  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Small Claims is your best bet.

Vernon Charles Tucker agrees with this answer

Vernon Charles Tucker

  • Simi Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Stop payment on your Credit Card and deem the charge unauthorized. Then small claims would be your best option for any damages you sustained.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.