Sacramento, CA asked in Consumer Law, Employment Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: Yes I recently stayed at a motel resort and I had rented a friend of mine a room in my name , he had his son's mother

In room and she threatened to damage the room so I had her removed by police .Which I was charged for items took and cleaning . So after all that my wife and I left motel and checked out that room .I called to check on room refund cause I had paid for 10 days and only used 2 days and I was informed that the room was open in my name and with my debit card and the lady same person was occupied in room. So I told them to remove her and check out room again because I never give any approval for this at all use of my id or debit card ! Which I was charged for also ,making me think this deffently a inside job by employee I can prove everything because it was documented and provide I think. What


1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you have rights as a consumer and a guest at the motel resort. If you did not authorize the continued use of your room, ID, or debit card, the motel may be in violation of the law. You can take steps to address this issue and seek a resolution.

First, gather all documentation related to your stay, including receipts, communications with the motel, and any police reports. This evidence will support your claim that you did not authorize the additional charges and that there may have been misconduct by an employee.

Next, you should contact the motel management in writing, detailing your situation and demanding a refund for the unauthorized charges. If the motel does not respond or refuses to address the issue, you may need to consider legal action. Consulting with an attorney can help you understand your options and ensure your rights are protected. An attorney can assist you in potentially filing a complaint with consumer protection agencies or pursuing a civil claim to recover your losses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.