Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Wrongful Death Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: is a medical examiner supposed to contact next of kin when a person dies to ask if they want an autospy?

-My mother passed away on tuesday, and upon talking to her doctor he expressed she was in good health aside from hypertension and gallbladder issues. I was not contacted asking if i wanted a autopsy and he himself was not. she received the covid vaccine two days prior to her passing so i feel as... Read more »

Steven Basche
Steven Basche answered on Mar 26, 2021

First off, I am sorry for your loss. The loss of a parent leaves a huge whole in one's heart. The State of Connecticut requires that the Medical Examiner examine deaths due to accident, homicide, suicide, and unknown causes, specifically "sudden or unexpected deaths not caused by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: My husband's brother passed away 5 years ago in CT, without a will.

My husband was the executor of the estate, however he was unable to continue, as he became ill. Then, his sister became the executor of estate. Both parents and all siblings were named beneficiaries to the estate. There has been a wrongful death lawsuit going on and is now in the process of... Read more »

Steven Basche
Steven Basche answered on Jul 21, 2020

First, my heart goes out to you in this difficult time.

Now to answer the question. You and/or your daughter should be entitled to your husband's share of his brother's estate. Your husband was alive at the time of his brother's death, so he (or in this case his estate)...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: Father died from suffocation in a nursing home, I'm trying to find a good med mal firm in CT.

Tracheal obstruction was the cause of death as per the autopsy, the nursing home tried to make it look like a heart attack. He had been left alone in his room for 3 hours and 48 minutes on the weekend, when staff was very low.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 21, 2018

Contact Mike Koskoff. Tell him I suggested you call. If you need other names let me know.

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: Can step-kids file wrongful death claims on behalf of a deceased parent if they were never adopted?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 4, 2018

I doubt it but contact a member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association--they can best advise you.

2 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: Who is allowed to file a wrongful death claim in Connecticut, or can anyone who knows the deceased person file?
John A. Collins III
John A. Collins III answered on Feb 22, 2018

A person who knows the deceased does not have the legal authority to file a wrongful death claim. An estate must be opened for the deceased and the administrator of the estate generally has the authority to then file such a claim.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: Is every accident-related death a possible wrongful death case?
Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman answered on Feb 18, 2018

If a case were filed claiming negligence or willful and wanton conduct by the party or parties who caused the death, then yes that would amount to a wrongful death claim and a separate count for a survival action if the decedent survived the injuries that caused the death for any length of time. In... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: What is the best way to prove mental anguish and suffering as the result of my husband's wrongful death in a car


Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 28, 2017

I can put you in touch with an excellent attorney whom I've known and associated with. Please feel free to call me.

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: Can employees bring a wrongful death lawsuit because the death of the boss caused the company to fold?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 25, 2017

No. Wrongful death cases can only be brought by a limited class of people. It's possible depending on circumstances a negligence claim could be brought but under most circumstances that would not be a claim that could be brought either.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: She ran him into a cement wall in a driveway traveling 113 feet and killed him. She claimed self defense and got away it

I would like to know what I can do about this.

I also have an inmate wondering about medical leave and good behavior time. Her case should also be looked into from 1997. I don't believe she had got representation. Thank You

Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on Jun 11, 2017

I would be interested in discussing the matter with you. From the limited amount of facts that you provided, I am not sure that I can give any kind of appropriate answer. And in fact left me with more questions. Please feel free to contact me at my office at 2:03. 870. 6700. Thank you

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Connecticut on
Q: Hello, I am trying to figure out what case type code to put on a summons for wrongful death, is it T90

I'm a paralegal student and I'm having trouble finding any information on how to properly fill out a summons and a complaint for a case example which is wrongful death.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 29, 2017

The clerk or prothonotary should be able to tell you. The complaint is farely straightforward. A Ct Bar Assn CLE coursebook on torts will probably have samples of both--look at them in the County law library.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Wrongful Death and Nursing Home Abuse for Connecticut on
Q: I'm 14 and I want to sue my grandmother's nursing home for wrongful death. Would I be able to?

My parents dont want to because they think we will not win, but I think there is a chance. She was dehydrated since march and they didn't notice and thought it was something else and has had to ho to the hospital after a week she went back to the nursing home and a week later she died.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2016

Tell your parents if they contact a good attorney like Michael Koskoff and tell them I said to call they will at least get a free consultation. If he takes the case it means he thinks he can win, as he takes cases on the basis that he only gets paid if he can get money for the estate. They... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.