Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Car Accidents Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Oregon on
Q: Oregon - rear-ended by uninsured driver (100% at fault). No injuries but out of pocket at $6K or more. How do we sue?

We have been racking up rental car fees while our car has been in the shop for several months (No rental coverage and repair shops are very backed up/short handed right now). Total of 4 cars in the accident and the uninsured driver at the back was found at fault. Thankfully we were physically fine... Read more »

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
answered on Sep 29, 2022

You could file against the at-fault driver. However, the at-fault driver may be judgment proof. Hopefully, you have full coverage insurance to cover your property damage. It is my understanding that approximately 1 in 5 drivers drives without insurance, which is why you need adequate... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Delaware on
Q: AUTO ACCIDENT - Not my fault. At a stop, left turn signal on, waiting for opposite traffic to past and SLAMMED into.

His insurance covered my totalled car... thats it. My insurance can't pay lost wages, because the year prior my company was closed due to covid but I had the option to work this year, if able.

I can not walk more than 2 minutes, my back locks, I have to sit. I filed disability but... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Car Accidents for Washington on
Q: I was involved in a mva I was cited for Careless Driving now after a week later they say they wanna charge me wit

Now they wanna charge me with a Duii after they already released me can they do that

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
answered on Sep 27, 2022

Hi, sorry to hear. Yes the State can charge you with DUI after releasing you. Washington State has two years to file charges for a gross misdemeanor such as DUI.

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Virginia on
Q: If I live in West Virginia, I sue someone who lives in New Jersey, seeking $25,000 for an accident that occurred in Flo

In an accident that occurred in Florida, what court has jurisdiction and what state do I file the lawsuit?

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Arizona on
Q: Is there a minimum amount of damage that has to a cure in order to receive a ticket in a traffic accident?

A commercial vehicle rear ended my wife at stoplight.he rolled up at idle speed dented the bumper the officer said that there wasn’t over 2000 dollars in damages so no ticket was issued.

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Ohio on
Q: Can you lose your Ohio driver's license for an accident that happened in Florida without insurance

My husband had his truck sent to to Florida to have an engine put in it with Ohio plates on it. His brother was supposed to hold the truck until my husband went to get it. The truck was not insured my brother-in-law decided to drive it and was involved in a hit-and-run accident he was at fault.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Indiana on
Q: Am I reliable for all damages rendered after a not at fault car accident because I didn't have car insurance?

I was not at fault for the accident.

Location, state of Indiana.

This is the first time I was involved in an accident not having car insurance coverage.

No personal injury occured during the accident.

Damages rendered was my to my own vehicle and property damage to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents on
Q: 20 years ago I plead guilty to living the scene of an accident felony first offense can I get my rights restored?

I hit a jogger with the car and plead guilty to a felony livid the scene of an accident and sentence to 3 years probation when I was 21 I am now 41 and want to know if I can get my rights back.

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Texas on
Q: Buying a salvage title unaware

I recently bought a car that is salvage. But before buying the seller had told me it was clean. It is the first time I buy a car so I trusted it and signed but when I saw the bill of sale it stated that the title is salvage and that is sold as is. It was my fault for trusting but I have text... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Florida on
Q: If someone throws a rock at your car in florida can you legally shoot back?

In florida throwing a rock at someones car is projecting a deadly missile. My question is if someone throws something at your car in a road rage incident that can injure you or your passengers is it legal to shoot back (stand your ground law). I need professional legal advice from someone who knows... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
answered on Sep 24, 2022

Your question is vague as to the timing of the events, as well as the specific danger posed by the rock-thrower. You may "stand your ground" with reasonable force that is necessary for self-defense - that is, to stop an ongoing attack that may cause death or great bodily injury to you.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Michigan on
Q: I hit a moose in Michigan. No one was injured and the moose took off.

I didn't call the police till morning (that's what we do for deer). Now, the police say I have to go to court.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: Can a accident cause a enlarged heart
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 29, 2022

Your question remains open for a week, but it is something that a doctor would be qualified to advise on, not an attorney. There are accidents involving impact with the steering wheel, and one doesn't need to be a doctor to appreciate the consequences of trauma to the upper chest and what lies... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Arizona on
Q: Is there a minimum amount of damage that has to a cure in order to receive a ticket in a traffic accident.

this involved a commerical vehicle and the officer told my wife that it wasn't over 2500 dollers in damage so no ticket was issued to the cdl driver. he rear ended my car and dented the bumper witch us going to cost about a grand .

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: Rented a car in Colorado rodent chewed wires and they want to charge me for it. can they do that?
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga
answered on Sep 22, 2022

I would think that would depend on your contract and if they can link the damage to your use of the car. If the rat was already living in the car when you took it, is it really your problem? Depending on the amount, it may be worth talking to an attorney.

Please be aware that any answer is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oregon on
Q: Can I sue my insurance company for stringing me along and not paying out on a claim that's affecting my work and housing

Right off the bat I had to sign a huge stack of papers which I was kind of unsure signing to begin with, but it was a relinquishing my the information from all bank accounts all of my person to person pay apps that. my call log on my phone all any phone records. I also had to provide phone numbers... Read more »

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
answered on Sep 21, 2022

You must have a basis to sue your insurance company. You cannot sue your car company merely for asking for documentation to support a claim you are making. To answer this question, more context is needed. What is the underlying claim you are making that would entitle you to insurance coverage?... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Georgia on
Q: A drivers friend hit my parked car and I’ve called the police have report and the owner is saying it’s not her fault and

And insurance is giving me the run around

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Sep 21, 2022

If insurance is giving you the run around then you should consult with an attorney to represent yourself, although in this situation, depending on the amount of the damage to your vehicle and whether or not you had collision coverage and the corresponding deductible to your vehicle, you might just... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Ohio on
Q: Individual refuses to pay small claims from vehicle accident with no insurance. Person cant be located, what now?

No law enforcement was involved. Did not claim through insurance and went to court and won the small claims case. Been 1 1/2 years and no payment. Can not locate individual and court system said they cant help. Hoping i can report to bmv.

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for New Mexico on
Q: Can I sue someone for hitting my car and saying they would pay because they didn’t have insurance but still hasn’t paid?

I got a police report and it states that he told them he would take care of it and I have texted messages from him saying he will bring the money but keeps giving me an excuse the day he is supposed to bring it to me. He also had no insurance at the time of the accident and has recently bought a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: I was 10 years of age when my father was killed in a hit and run accident and the driver was identified but never sente

The driver was identified but never arrested and sentenced we never received a police report of the accident I asked several legal services for their advice they tell me they will call me back and I never get answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My son fell asleep at the wheel, causing property damage, and is being charged with a misdemeanor. How serious is this?

To our knowledge, the property owners are not pressing charges. However, the District Attorney is charging him with a misdemeanor for this accident. He was not under the influence of anything. He was returning home from football practice. He's a good kid. No history of drugs or alcohol. Good... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Sep 21, 2022

If the District Attorney is prosecuting this, then you need to hire an attorney to represent your son's interests and help mitigate this matter----depending on the age of your son, it may be possible to get all of this transferred to juvenile court jurisdiction which might keep all of this off... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.