Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Social Security legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Idaho Social Security Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Probate and Social Security for Idaho on
Q: Can a conservatorship use a minor conservatee's money to make mortgage payments on their house?

Then when the minor conservatee became of age, the conservatorship required the Conservatee to pay Rent to continue to live in the house his conservatorship money had bought

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 21, 2023

A conservatorship typically manages the financial affairs of a minor conservatee for their benefit. Using the conservatee's funds to make mortgage payments on a house that will ultimately benefit the conservatee can be appropriate if it aligns with the minor's best interests. However, the... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Social Security for Idaho on
Q: Can I get house arrest instead of jail time?

I have a battery charge from last March. I was sentenced to probation. It took them 6 months to get that sentencing. I am on SSI. I have not been able to keep up with probation, counseling, OT and my house work. I have missed a lot of check ins and drugs tests. And my probation officer put out a PV... View More

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
answered on Feb 14, 2021

From your question it seems like you may be disabled? If so, you certainly may ask the court for "alternative sentencing" options, such as "home detention." Usually reserved for those who have some physical reason why jail would be too difficult, home detention typically nets 2... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Idaho on
Q: Can I get my brothers social security money if my mother refuses to help support him?

She gave me permission to take care of my brother and enroll him in school. My brother is special needs and needs to have certain programs in order to be successful. My mother is homeless and she wants me to care for her son until she is on her feet. She refuses to transfer his money to me as a... View More

Michael Hales
Michael Hales
answered on Jan 14, 2019

The easiest thing to do in this situation is go to your local social security office and start the process there. You may need to involve a lawyer to challenge your mother as payee for your brother, but I'd start with the local office and ask for their assistance first.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Juvenile Law and Social Security for Idaho on
Q: Can I sue my mom for not paying me money she owes me?

I am 17. Roughly two years ago when my baby sister was first born, my mother agreed to pay me $20 every time she was gone more than two hours and I had to watch the baby. Well, she now owes me over $600 and there has been multiple instances where she has left me overnight alone with my 5 younger... View More

F. Anthony Bullock
F. Anthony Bullock
answered on Dec 20, 2017

Courts in most states would construe such an arrangement as a gratuitous promise, unsupported by consideration, and therefore unenforceable at law. In short if you attempted to engage in litigation to recover the requested sum it is unlikely that you will be successful.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Idaho on
Q: If I have a lot of monthly retirement income from my 401K, does that disqualify me for receiving social security


Michael Hales
Michael Hales
answered on Dec 11, 2017

No, it doesn't. There are, of course, exceptions like if you're talking about some forms of Social Security Disability.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Idaho on
Q: Live in Idaho. Won a medical malpractice lawsuit. Put money in an annuity and receive a monthly payment. Cannot work.

Can I receive disability benefits if I qualify as being disabled?

Jonathan Alexander Heeps
Jonathan Alexander Heeps
answered on Dec 24, 2014

This depends. If you have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years you may be eligible to apply for SSDI. The amount of income you receive from your annuity may disqualify you from SSI benefits. In either case you will need to prove that you you have a severe impairment that is expected to last, or... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.