Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Contracts Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Washington DC on
Q: I am seeking legal assistance regarding a contract law matter related to an automotive transaction in Washington, DC.

I am in the process of purchasing a car from a private seller and would greatly appreciate your expertise in reviewing the purchase agreement, providing legal advice, and addressing any concerns I may have.

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Estate Planning for Florida on
Q: Can I please have help determining if the language in this passage is boilerplate or sneaky language?

It's a receipt, release, indemnification, and refunding agreement for a living trust. It's saying that I acknowledge the partial distribution of the estate and release trhem from any debts, claims, etc. There is a lot of language in here that leaves them weasel-room. Is there any way I... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Tax Law for North Carolina on
Q: Business agrees to hire a local police department for off-duty services. The business is asked to sign a contract from

the PD about the pay rate and duties required. Contact signed, &work has been completed, but now business will not pay officers until w9 is filed. This was not in the contact.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Ohio on
Q: If I signed a contract with a company for exterior home improvement, how long do they have to do the work?

The paper stated that I had three days to cancel.

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jun 7, 2023

Unless your contract specifies a fixed date of completion and provides that time is of the essence, the contractor has a reasonable time to complete the work.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Products Liability for Georgia on
Q: In Cobb county state court if the prosecutor has the wrong date on a filed accusation will it be dismissed or not

It’s on a title pawn the charge is subject to security interest as in I was withholding the vehicle. It was impounded and sold already with the title company knows . They are using their friends at the court to try and make me pay although in I believe 1:1:23 of the Georgia constitution says... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Missouri on
Q: I signed a lease in October 2022, that starts August 19, 2023. The signed lease is a 10 month lease for $510 a month.

Just today, 6/6/23, I'm told there is an addendum to the lease I have to sign for an additional $75.00 a month since it's a 10 month lease. Is that legal? That's not in the lease I signed 10/2022, for a start date of 8/19/23.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: Is it ethical (or legal) to sell shares of your small business knowing that you are currently filing bankruptcy?

In GA, what is the avg timespan from hiring an attny to the actual filing of Chapter 11 paperwork? We purchased shares of a local business directly from the owner on February 2 and they filed for bankruptcy March 1. During our meetings, they advised they were going to be using the funds to expand... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jun 7, 2023

It could be construed as fraudulent conduct. I would tread very carefully in this matter to avoid any allegations of fraud or misconduct.

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for New York on
Q: What is a village required to supply a fire company with?

If a village in New York has a fire company under their jurisdiction, are they required to supply and maintain a truck and station? If so where is the law located?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Banking, Business Law and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: Hello, I have a friend who is currently a jail inmate in Hillsborough County. This is about a power of attorney.


I have a friend who is currently a jail inmate in Hillsborough County. He asked that I have access to a bank account so he can make legal payments to his new attorney. After some research and discussion with others I found out a power of attorney will be necessary.

My... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Jun 6, 2023

1) You can do it. Find a form online, or get help from his attorney, and check with the bank before you get your friend to sign it to see if it will be accepted. The bank may have its own form it prefers.

2) No.

3) Aren't you going to mail it to him care of the jail?...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Government Contracts and Identity Theft for California on
Q: On the Assessor print out my anut &uncle have to Affivdated of death in there owen name just to put there back on title

Is it legal for the Assessor office to accept that two people cliam owenship on title than turn in two affivdated of there owen death just to claim title of owner ship again at 35% owenership this time when property was shows that it's already a BONDEFIED gift R&T 11911 successor grantor... Read more »

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 6, 2023

Consult with a real estate attorney to address potential fraud and property ownership disputes. They can review the evidence you have and advise on the best course of action. Consider requesting a fraud investigation and follow the attorney's guidance on recording your ownership claim with the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: I had a car loan. The car was stolen, crashed, and totalled by the insurance company. There is still a balance owing.

The balance is about to be charged off. What are my options?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law and Construction Law for Colorado on
Q: If a contractor takes a job, and realizing its too big for for one man to accomplish safely after work has started.

This is my first excavation job. Sewer line in alley was originally located 6' deep, ended up being damaged all the way to city tap which is 13' deep. After replacing the damaged pipe, encasing in concrete, backfilling, replaced roadbase, and asphault. A week later the utility company ran... Read more »

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jun 6, 2023

Your best option is to subcontract the work out to another excavator with more manpower

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: Contracts legalities and more it won't let me post everything I will add more when it lets me

My son was born with a cleft lip and palate, and a few weeks after he was born I had gotten into a class action lawsuit over medication I was on that was found to cause things of that nature, this was back in 2008, well the last couple years this lawsuit has been in the works of settling... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Lemon Law for Alabama on
Q: I bought a used car that was advertised with a extended warranty. The "warranty", is just a service contract instead and

has not covered any of the prior issues that has happened to the car since March 29th. As of right now I have spent over service contract price I paid for. Is there any recourse that I can take.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for California on
Q: How do I cancel a signed contract with a contractor, he has not done anything yet.

The contract allow the contractor to claim money from my insurance directly.

James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
answered on Jun 5, 2023

More information is needed. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Contracts for Florida on
Q: Can I dispute a debt from a collections agency that I feel is unjust?

I was planning on attending university, so I put down a $300 reservation for a room, though around a month later I had to cancel due to financial reasons. When I applied for the room, an email was automatically sent to my student email account connected to the university which had terms stating... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
answered on Jun 4, 2023

This is a fairly simple legal issue - either your entered into a valid contract agreeing to the cancellation fee, or you didn't. To enter into such a contract, you would either have to sign it in ink or electronically, or check an on-line box agreeing to terms and conditions that you are able... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Contracts for Texas on
Q: Is there some kind of Texas civil Code that references verbal Agreements?

Looking to see if my verbal agreement with someone is binding in Texas. She is saying it is no longer valid because we have had a fight and are no longer really speaking to each other. Is there something that I can read into and possibly reference in court?

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jun 4, 2023

Unless there is a statute or common law rule requiring a writing, oral agreements are just as valid and enforceable as written agreements. This is a fundamental principle of contract law which is not dependent on the existence of any specific statute.

Of course, you still have to prove all...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law, Contracts and Business Law for New York on
Q: Can I file a lawsuit if my DOE vendor owes me money and had me in a school without a background check/fingerprinting?

I was hired by Step in School, a supposed DOE Vendor (although I don't see their name on the list of vendors) to teach dance during CAS after school program as an independent contractor. CAS (Children Aid Society) is on the DOE vendor list and is who Step In School contracted with. Step in... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.