Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Collections legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alaska Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Collections and Small Claims for Alaska on
Q: I inherited land from my mom when she passed but never got the land now it's been sold where do I stand to get my share?

The person who held the land filed bankruptcy then sold the property before giving me anything including that he was going to sell.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Nov 19, 2019

If someone else other than your mother held title to the property, you don’t have anything to inherit. Assuming there was a legal basis for your claim to the property, you probably should have intervened in the bankruptcy. If you weren’t listed as a creditor, you can possibly still maintain... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment and Collections for Alaska on
Q: If I lose a civil suit, can they take my home and car?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Jul 15, 2016

Perhaps, depending on the value of each. Exemptions from execution, for homes and cars, are only available to certain amounts.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Alaska on
Q: How do I fight a default judgement against me after 18 years

In Alaska where I live over something fraudulent over a phone bill I didn't make or create

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on May 14, 2016

It is very doubtful that you can do anything about it. You could check the court file to see how you were allegedly served with process, but I seriously doubt that you would be able to prove the proof of service to be wrong, after all of these years. There is, as I recall, a statute which... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alaska on
Q: Do i owe my trustee money?

i lived in a county with a trustee who was collecting student welfare and i just moved out of the county may 1st to a new county back with my parents. My trustee was still collecting my student welfare and sent me the money for the month of may. for the month of june when it came to collecting the... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Aug 12, 2015

First, Alaska doesn't have counties, so this can't be about Alaska law; it is in the wrong category.

Anyway, you will need to indicate what state (if in the US) or country you are in. Since you ask about "student welfare", and a trustee who collects the same, I'm guessing you aren't in the US.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.