Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: I purchased a property that wasn’t on a condem list now they won’t to condemn it do I have the right to repair
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 30, 2019

If you want to keep the property you had better contact the condemning authority and find out what you will have to do to bring the property back up to code, or whatever.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Banking and Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: There's a fake a fake data descent deed conveying land to The Heirs at law my grandmother left me that land in her trust
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 8, 2019

If what you say is true, you will have to hire a probate lawyer who also knows how to litigate.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: purchased a house and closing less than 30 days, just found termites and severe rot on beams under deck. who to call?

Inspector missed these items and they are glaring after moving in. Should we seek a lawyer?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Mar 26, 2019

Only if you want to enforce the rights that you may have.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: If a builder sells us a new house can he use someone else's signature without telling us or noting it in the contract?

We bought a house from a builder, he used a different company name to get our businesses but after we signed a contract we found that wasn't the real name. He also signed someone else's name on the contact, apparently the real owners name not his on the contract without noting it when he... Read more »

David Edward Boyle
David Edward Boyle answered on Feb 26, 2019

It depends if he is authorized by a power of attorney to sign for someone else. If the home sale went through without a problem, do you have any damages?

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: My step dad's mother died, and he is severely depressed. My mom needs to know her rights as his spouse?

In regards to real estate .

Kim Ebert
Kim Ebert answered on Feb 17, 2019

Your question is vague as to what real estate you're asking about.... his deceased mother's or real property your step-father and mother own jointly or separately. A competent attorney can answer your questions. Have all the pertinent facts readily available for the consultation.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: What steps to take,my husband(soul provider & only income) gets me & our kids evicted,then leaves the home with mone

My husband left me and the kids without money or any means to honor the eviction order. Taking me off the bank account and took all money. Married 9 yrs with 2 kids 1yr old and 8 yr old I’ve not worked the entire marriage due to my lupus. This is now the 9th time he’s left in one year. He... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jan 28, 2019

You need to file for divorce and ask for emergency financial support. You may or may not be able to delay the eviction. You will need to talk to a landlord tenant attorney about that.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: The best way to leave my daughter and not my wife my home without adding my daughter to the deed if my wife is on deed

My wife wants to be added to my deed. I want my daughter to have the home after I die. Currently the home is empty and I reside in my wife's house with her. I want to leave my house to my daughter, but my wife objects. I have a daughter and she has a daughter and there's disaccord... Read more »

Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr. answered on Jan 2, 2019

Your situation is not unusual, but is certainly a sticky wicket. There are three ways to accomplish your goal.

1. Draft a will leaving a life estate to your wife with the remainder to your daughter. This creates possible accounting night mares if the will is not properly drafted. However,...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Divorce for Georgia on
Q: If my wife and I refinanced a home that she had prior to our marriage, is that now considered community property?

We have since moved into a much larger home that I financed on my own. The home in question is now a rental property.

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Dec 3, 2018

If you and your wife refinanced together during the marriage, it most likely is marital property.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Can I retrieve a deer that I wounded on my property and ran onto another property
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Nov 12, 2018

It depends.

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Does the trustee has the right to take the land and house?

My partner and I live together for 20 yrs and have 4 kids together. He has no job and income since 2002. I have been supporting his bills for 13 yrs. In 2014, I bought a land and built a house on it. I contributed 100% toward the purchase and added his name to the deed. After a year, I ended... Read more »

P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill answered on Oct 23, 2018

You cannot simply remove him from the deed. He would have to execute a deed in order to do this. Even if he did, the bankruptcy trustee may see this as a fraudulent conveyance and come after it for that purpose. He doesn't have to contribute anything to the asset to own it, which he... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Only my husband's name is on the deed and mortgage to our house. He passed away. Am I responsible for repaying the loan?
Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Sep 9, 2018

Not personally, but if you do inherit the real estate you take subject to this mortgage.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Is my daughter legally required to pay lot rent of the previous owner of a mobile home she just purchased?

She lives in a "Rent to own" trailer park. She owns her trailer and rents the lot. Recently, she bought a second trailer in the same park. So, she owns 2 trailers with lot rent. Her landlord wants to collect past lot rent that the previous owner did not pay. $800.00. Is my daughter... Read more »

Daliah Brill
Daliah Brill answered on Aug 7, 2018

Did she sign an agreement to place her trailers on “rent to own” lot(s)? I’f so, what type of agreement did she sign?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: i recieved a dispossessory proceding, how do i dispute this?

i recieved a dispossessory proceding this morning. I live in my fathers house and pay $400 a month to live in the garage. He has a joint lease with his wife. He loves me, his wife hates me. She filed the paperwork for it. For the reason, she put "party displays hostile behaivior and is not on... Read more »

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Aug 3, 2018

I assume you mean you received "Notice" of a dispossessory proceeding. I have never heard of that. I must also assume that you must attend the proceeding if you want to fight it. Since you are in Georgia, and I live in Palm Springs, California, I can't comment on Georgia law. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Georgia on
Q: Question is close friend owned property it was in her name but her mother was executor of property cause she was minor

My friend became adult but nothing was changed and her mother died. Well still nothing was filed and taxes was paid. The year my friend passed away (no children or heirs) I was made to move off property after the home I had built out of material that was my husband that his father had left him... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Aug 1, 2018

This isn't a family law question.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Per our divorce decree my ex wife was suppose to sell or refinance the home under her name.

She has abandoned the home and moved out of state. My ex and I are both on the title however the loan is in my name. Can I get reclaim the home since she is in contempt? Can a judge order removal of an ex off the title?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jul 23, 2018

You can file for contempt. Unless your divorce decree allows you to reclaim the home, then that remedy is not available. If the divorce does not mandate that she be removed from the title if she is in default, the judge cannot order that either. The judge cannot change the decree - just enforce... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Georgia on
Q: I assumed a mortgage loan from my mother's home in GA. She died intestate in 2012. What type of deed do I file?

I recently completed a loan assumption and modification on a property originally owned by my mother, who died intestate in 2012. I was the temporary Administrator of her estate which nad no value, until the estate was closed in 2013. I am unsure now, what type of deed to file with the county... Read more »

Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr. answered on Jul 19, 2018

You should prepare an Administrator's Deed transferring the home from your mother into your name. This assumes you have paid all debts of the estate and have paid all other heirs whatever their inheritance should be. Further, as temporary administrator, you have no authority to transfer real... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: If a mother has passed away and leaves 50/50 to the son and daughter.can the sister got rent from him to buy her out
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jul 18, 2018

This isn't a family law questions. Try trusts and estates section.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Do I have to pay back a government secured guarantee on a foreclosed house?
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 4, 2018

Possibly, yes. Depends on the terms of the guarantee you signed.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: My ex-husband and I purchased a home that I lived in 2 years after our divorce. Home was in his name only but it was

my primary residence for 4 years. We sold this year and he gave me 1/2 of the proceeds. How will I be taxed on this money according to real estate law?

John Espinosa
John Espinosa answered on Jul 2, 2018

This is a question for your accountant.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.