Indiana Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers

Q: Why would a prosecutor ask for records to be sealed in a criminal drug case?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 16, 2019
Paul Stanko's answer
Most likely to protect a confidential informant.

Q: I have a deceased Father that I just learned about through DNA. The family is not forthcoming in any information .

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Estate Planning for Indiana on
Answered on Jan 14, 2019
James Whitney's answer
I can relate as I found my biological father through a combination of DNA and paper trail research long after he had deceased.

Unfortunately, those in our situation have no legal rights as heirs or children without initiating steps to solidify our status as a child of the father we found.

For my part, I filed a petition in court for a name change to include my biological father's name in my name. Thus, my name now, by court order, is Arthur James Wilcox Whitney. This has...

Q: We 3 siblings own our dead mother's house. Only my sister has access to utility bills. I pay sister but nothing on.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Indiana on
Answered on Mar 11, 2017
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
If all of you are on the deed you should all have access to pay the utility bills. If your sister is supposed to be paying the utility bills but is not, stop paying her for the utility bills and contact the utility companies directly to pay off the outstanding balances in order to get the power and other utilities turned back. Ask your sister what happened to the money and ask for repayment for what you have given her so far. If she refuses to pay, consult with an attorney to file a claim in...

Q: Do i have to settle if i already signed the papers at a mediation?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Indiana on
Answered on May 16, 2014
Charles Snyderman's answer
I wish you gave us some more information. However, assuming you participated in mediation and agreed at mediation to settle the case, then that settlement is binding. In other words, your question "do I have to settle" is moot because you already did. Of course, this answer assumes that the papers you signed confirm that the case was settled.

Q: What recourse does a 50% owner have if the other is allowing folk to occupy jointly-held property rent free?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Indiana on
Answered on Nov 21, 2013
Jonathan Craig Reed's answer
Mediation only works if both sides want to save the expense of litigation. You can't force the other side into a productive mediation. By its nature, mediation involves compromise by both sides, so if only one side is willing to compromise, the mediation will fail.

Binding arbitration is a possible solution. Because it is binding both sides have to live with the arbitrator's decision.

If all else fails, you can have a local lawyer file suit to have the property sold so each side...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.