Indiana Insurance Defense Questions & Answers

Q: Why weren't there a crash investor called after my crash on September 8, 2018.. only a police officer arrived.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 17, 2018
Charles Candiano's answer
Indiana only requires that a formal accident reconstruction be prepared after fatal accidents. If someone died or suffered obviously life-threatening injuries, they would have taken the necessary measurements and photographs of the vehicles, gouge marks, and any other memorialization of the accident, in addition to what was reported by surviving drivers and bystanders.

Q: Will my new traffic citation affect my ongoing court case?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Mar 26, 2018
Charles Candiano's answer
It has nothing to do with WHETHER you were liable in the "hit and run" but a subsequent Reckless Driving will make it a heck of a lot more difficult for your attorney to negotiate a plea, in BOTH actions. Do NOT plead guilty to the speed/reckless charge. Hand it over to your attorney and SLOW DOWN.

Q: My husband and I wrecked our motorcycle a few years ago and we we're unaware that our insurance had lapsed

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 28, 2018
Charles Candiano's answer
The insurer is required, by statute, to let you know, in writing, that your insurance has lapsed. Most insurance companies make the advisement BEFORE the policy expires/lapses. If you were paying, monthly, there would be no opportunity to write to you before the policy lapsed or they would be sending you a letter every month. If you were paying monthly and there were insufficient funds or you simply forgot to pay, you will be understood to have Notice of the policy expiring.

Do you...

Q: I have LL insurance on my vehicle. While test driving a private owned vehicle got speeding ticket, he has no insurance

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 12, 2018
Andrew L. Bennett's answer
Contact your insurance company to determine if your specific policy will cover you driving the other vehicle. If it will not then likely you will be suspended for Failure to Provide Proof of Insurance, which will include a 90 day license suspension. If you cannot avoid the suspension by having your insurance cover you in the other vehicle, you should contact an attorney to file for Specialized Driving Privileges (SDP) so that you can drive during the period of suspension.

Q: What do I do when I was a passenger in a single vehicle car accident and the driver didn't have insurance?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Defense and Personal Injury for Indiana on
Answered on Dec 19, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Contact a member of the Indiana Assn for Justice for the county where the wreck happened to see what options you have for uninsured motorist or other party liablity--they give free consults.

Q: if you obtain a police report are you required by law to file it with your insurance?

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense, Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Indiana on
Answered on Dec 19, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
No, he's --or you--have mixed it up. You file with the other insurance if it's a rear ender. However if you were hurt, call a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consults.

Q: Is the owner of an insured vehicle involved in an accident in Indiana, which he loaned to a friend, liable for damages

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Nov 14, 2017
Charles Candiano's answer
The simple answer is YES, generally through his or her insurance.

Q: Bmv sending me letter in mail saying I need to show them proof of insurance

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 21, 2017
Andrew L. Bennett's answer
The short answer is Yes.

Q: I don't currently own the home but was robbed. Is homeowners going to cover it since I don't actually rent from anyone

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Criminal Law and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 5, 2017
Paul Stanko's answer
Check the homeowners policy for coverages and exclusions. That is controlled by contract. Your first call should be to the insurance agent.

Q: I caused an accident without insurance. Is there any way for my license not to be suspended?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
You need to conact an attorney who handles license suspension cases. Sometimes posting a bond will do it. The other person is primarily interested in insurance, not you. First up is making sure that the cancellation was correct. Second, be prepared to pay for their car damage.Usually what triggers a suspension is person gets contaccted by the insurance company on the damage claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.