Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Uncategorized Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Florida on
Q: My husband was picked up by Marion Co Sheriff & taken to The Centers in Ocala, how can I get him out?

He made an unfortunate comment to a receptionist at his doctor's office when she told him he couldn't get an appointment until January. The Jist was he wanted to shoot himself in the head rather than wait because of the pain he is in. Is there any way to expedite his release? What is the process?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 15, 2019

It appears that he is being held pursuant to the Baker Act.

See and

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Maryland on
Q: If a lawyer inform your auto insurance that your medical bills but was paid via settlement. What is PIP check for?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 8, 2019

This is something a Maryland attorney would know best, as insurance is governed by state laws and can vary from state to state. But your question remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, PIP stands for personal injury protection. It is coverage for medical bills, lost wages, and related... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for California on
Q: How can I find out why cops showed up at my brothers job asking if he knew where I was at?

I know I have an active arrest warrant out for me for a domestic violence charge I plead guilty to but didn't do my requirements

I know my bail is set at 50000

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Nov 7, 2019

Police are simply doing their job and conducting an investigation. They are allowed to ask family members about your whereabouts. I think its unfortunate that decided to attend your brother's workplace, it shows either bad judgment or deliberate desire to put pressure on you by embarassing family... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Connecticut on
Q: I was fired from my bartender/server job for declaring my tips to the IRS which I have done for the last 22 years
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Nov 4, 2019

That's unfortunate. What exactly is your question? You should consider posting a question under the Employment Law section asking if that is enough cause for an employer to terminate your employment? Or, if maybe there may be grounds for a civil action against your employer?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for New York on
Q: Hi I'm looking into closing or transferring money from my ex husbands 403B. Need expert advice please.

Was married 9 years while the 403B was collecting. Was told I needed a lawyer to begin the process.

Michael Francis Barrett
Michael Francis Barrett answered on Nov 4, 2019

Assuming your judgment of divorce or settlement agreement awards you a share of the 403(b) account, you will likely need a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) to receive your funds. Seek out an attorney in your local area who handles QDROs.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Georgia on
Q: After a death with no will. Who takes possession of deceased property?

My roommate passed away now his girlfriend of 2 years is trying to take everything he owned and claim it as hers. His mother also lived here with us and she disagrees and feels that the stuff should belong to her. How do I stop the girlfriend from taking all of his property?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 2, 2019

I'm sorry for the loss of your roommate and your being thrust into this difficult position. You need a response without delay because you are probably under pressure regarding the possessions. Repost in the Probate and Estate Planning sections, and a Georgia attorney knowledgeable in this area... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for California on
Q: Whats the best advice you would give to a high school student wanting to proceed into the field of law? (C.O or Lawyer)

I am contemplating between going to law school and become a lawyer or being a Correctional Officer.

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Nov 1, 2019

Those are very different fields. I suggest you speak with your career counselor. If you do not have one, reach out to local lawyers or the local lawyer bar association to see if they have mentor programs for highschool students. You can do the same for the field of correctional officer.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized on
Q: A client paid a deposit for design work. Isn’t satisfied and wants it back.

I have not stated anywhere deposits are non refundable however she agreed my compromise on half the deposit back. Now she says her partner is wanting the remaining back as well.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 29, 2019

This could be a difficult situation because unless there were exact parameters as to how performance under the contract was to be satisfied, it could be subjective, as is sometimes the case with design, artistic, or other creative services. Depending on how much is at stake, you could consult with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Maryland on
Q: how much could i sue paypal for allowing me to get scammed
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 29, 2019

You can sue for your "losses" and more if you can prove that they were negligent.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Florida on
Q: Can I sue my mom for giving my puppy away without telling me?

I got my puppy when she was 6 weeks old and I have paid for everything for her even her vet bills. And my name is on the vet papers saying I own her. My mom decided to give her away and won’t tell me where she is. Am I allowed to sue her for taking my “property”?

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 29, 2019

Technically yes. She stole your property - that's a crime. If she sold your property that's also a crime. You can sue your mother in small claims court or report the incident to police and have her charged.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Nevada on
Q: I'm 17 and i was punched on the 26th of October, which was my birthday, am i able to charge the person who punched me?

I know where he works, he is also much older than me probably mid 20's

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 29, 2019

Yes. Report the incident to the police. The police will investigate and will make the determination to file charges or not. Make the report. Even if they don't lay charges there will be a record with police that he was investigated that may be relevent some day.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for South Carolina on
Q: Q: I got a judgement in 2014 from discover credit card. If I sell my home will they take my money?

Since then my health has lead me to file for disability. I can't work and can't pay my bills. I have to sell. I have to pay back money I've borrowed from family to pay my bills. I hope I have enough to live on until I get my disability.

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Oct 29, 2019

If they have filed the judgment they will get the amount owed to them at the time of the sale if there is any equity in the home before you get any money out of the home. The Judgment acts like a lien against the property.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Uncategorized on
Q: my friend. Who's family was attacked by shooting. The news filmed their property without permission from them.

The news showed up and filmed the house. The family is traumatized and were shocked to see it on tv.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 27, 2019

If it was the outside of the house that is allowable

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Colorado on
Q: In a [stand·alone] trial: how would one protest at the lack of witnesses &or testimony provided from qualified ones?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 26, 2019

It's something you could express concern about to your attorney. In terms of preparation for trial, your attorney would have done the investigation and research into identifying witnesses who would be necessary in supporting your position. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Florida on
Q: Someone left a mattress box in my apartment for 1+ years and haven't claimed it knowing it's there. Can I throw it away?

The guy didn't pay rent to live there and left the box in my room for more than 1 whole year. He still visits the apartment frequently and is fully aware that the box is still there but hasn't given any incentive to take it with him. Am I allowed to dispose of said box? This is a tenant to non... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 25, 2019

Do you mean a box spring (which may have some value) or the box which a mattress was in when it was purchased (trash, presumably)? Give the person who owned it notice that if he doesn't remove it in a reasonable time you will throw it out.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Arizona on
Q: In Arizona if theres a death that looked like suicide will there b an autopsy.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 22, 2019

An Arizona attorney would be in the best position to advise, but your question remains open for two weeks. In general, it could depend on who is demanding it and whether there are next-of-kin objections that are legitimate under state law. They can be called for if necessary to determine validity... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized on
Q: I'm a law student and I'm struggling. I love the course though. I study hard but in yielding bad results. Please help me
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 21, 2019

Look into review books and bar prep materials. Those resources can sometimes make it easier to understand issues than case books. If it's possible to form a study group, that could sometimes help. Ask your academic advisor if she or he could offer any recommendations. Don't get discouraged by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Florida on
Q: Do I have a case against my doctor for safety violations?

I am a dialysis patient from out of state. I need to renew my driver's license and at the dmv they asked if I ever fainted and I was honest and said yes due to low blood pressure but it was serval months ago. Now they gave me paperwork to give to my doctor to fill out to make sure I'm able to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 19, 2019

An attorney is not qualified to make a determination here as to a safety violation. You're asking about a medical opinion on the actions of an examining physician; only another physician who could review the file documents might possibly be able to make a conclusion as to actions/inactions... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Kansas on
Q: If a product label advertises with one thing then in the box the warning label says you can't use the product as stated.

The box says trailerable and that is the main selling point. The warning label in the box states do not trailer. is there a case here where I could get punitive damages I can hardly sleep knowing that this company has deceived thousands of people with no repercussions. I am beside myself with... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 19, 2019

A Kansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It's difficult to determine what the damages would be here. It could be considered a misrepresentation that a purchaser argues as being intentional in nature, to induce people to buy the product. The manufacturer or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Pennsylvania on
Q: I have someone who is trying to claim my son as there’s , they keep harassing me and my family and threatening me

Just need to know what to do to get it to stop

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 16, 2019

Call the police - they might be committing criminal harassment and criminal threatening. This could lay the foundation for obtaining a restraining order or peace bond but also start the process of getting them the mental health care services that they need. You want the police involved to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.