Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: my soon to be ex wife has let a multiple time felon move in before divorce is over. can i get custody of my children

boyfriend is on probation currently for 2 felonies. has a very extensive history of drug and alcohol charges, arson, burglary, theft, owi's. most recent charges almost 1 year ago. im concerned for my children. can i get full custody of them, or what is my best process? can i file to not have... Read more »

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse answered on Nov 5, 2020

Do you currently have an attorney for the ongoing divorce? Or has this divorce process not yet started? If you have not retained an attorney or started the divorce process, I advise seeking one ASAP and having them file for divorce. From there, after some administrative hoops are jumped through... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Social Security for Iowa on
Q: I want to separate from my husband, or divorce but I'm also trying for ssdi. I don't know if it will effect income.

so I'm wondering if applying for ssdi, should I bother separation or just go for divorce? I have no income myself. My husband makes the money.

Emmett B. Irwin
Emmett B. Irwin answered on Jun 26, 2020

SSDI generally does not have income or asset limits, so it generally doesn't matter whether you're married, separated or divorced. But you have to have been working and paid payroll taxes for 5 out of the last 10 years before you became disabled to technically qualify for SSDI.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: Does my ex have any entitlement to my inheritance if we have been divorced for four years? We were married for 20 years.
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Apr 16, 2020

No. Your ex would not have any entitlement to your inheritance even if you were still married. However, if you still owe your ex anything for support or division of property or anything like that, your inheritance will be a collectible asset if it is given to you outright. If your inheritance... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce and Car Accidents for Iowa on
Q: What are my options concerning a credit hit I took for my ex wife not paying her vehicle loan?

We both signed, and a judge signed, the stipulation for our divorce, and it literally states "(she) shall be awarded the 2012 Cruze automobile free and clear from any claim of (me) and she shall assume any indebtedness thereon, holding (me) free from any liability thereon".

2... Read more »

Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Dec 17, 2017

You can file with the divorce court an application for her to show cause why the Court should not hold her in contempt. You can ask the Court to award you attorney fees but during the pendency of the action you will have to pay your own lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Iowa on
Q: the respondent did not answer divorce. what do I file next.

need to know what to file and what order and time line to file next.

Jesse Michael Marzen
Jesse Michael Marzen answered on Apr 28, 2017

The procedure for a 'Default' (wherein the other person doesn't file an answer within 20 days after being served the Petition and Original Notice), is found in the Civil Procedure Rules. Here is a link to those Rules:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: If items are in my fathers name and my name, can his wife take those items in a divorce?

My fathers wife is greedy. She kissed our butts while they were dating. The moment they were married it all changed. She had him do everything for her and her kids. She has 4 kids whom have significant others, 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. She pays for anything they ask for. Her 1st... Read more »

Jesse Michael Marzen
Jesse Michael Marzen answered on Apr 27, 2017

Your step-mother may, or may not, be able to take the items that are listed in yours and his names. It depends on when the item was purchased, and how title to that items got into your and his names. If the item was purchased before he and your stepmother were married, then it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Iowa on
Q: Can I obtain copies of ny divorce decree at the courthouse?
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Nov 28, 2010

Yes. Even though I practice law in IL and am unfamiliar with the procedures in IA, I am certain that the county court in which you were divorced will have your original document on file and available for copying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.