Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Divorce legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Kansas Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce and Family Law for Kansas on
Q: My husband moved to Florida we are not legally separated so could I file for divorce and bankruptcy at the same time?

If I file for bankruptcy and he gets very upset and filed for divorce how would that affect my bankruptcy? Can he try to get me to pay the debt in the divorce?

Sonya Jackson
Sonya Jackson
answered on Jul 14, 2023

You can file your bankruptcy case and your divorce case on the same day. However, from a practical perspective, it may make more sense to get your bankruptcy behind you before filing for divorce. This is because, by having the debt discharged before the divorce, you reduce the number of issues that... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Kansas on
Q: Ex-wife refuses to pay bills whats my next step?

Judge ordered my ex-wife to pay the electric bill in my name she ran up to 2400$, 1/2 of the phone bill and to sue her ex boyfriend for taking my USMC Items. What's my next step?

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jun 23, 2023

Don’t fall in the trap of paying the electric bill or her half of the phone bill.

Let the utility provider discontinue service.

Then get new electric service only for your separate residence with a different electricity provider and new cell phone service only for your own cell...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and Tax Law for Kansas on
Q: Am I legally allowed to give up my green card in the middle of a divorce?
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
answered on Feb 28, 2022

You need to speak to a lawyer ASAP. You would need to put more details to explain more clearly however, IF you already have your green card and you are getting a divorce there is no law that says you have to "give it up" as you say.

IF you are in the process of getting the green...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and International Law for Kansas on
Q: I married a British woman while she was living in the US. We got pregnant and decided to have the child in England since

It was free. Since then we have split. While visiting she refused to allow my child to go to the embassy to get a USA social security number. She refuses to come back to the US for a divorce because she doesn’t want to go through a custody hearing. What can I do to get joint custody and get... View More

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
answered on Feb 10, 2022

You can probably sue her in the U. K.

Filing suit here would require you to have personal service of process on the spouse, which is not impossible, but tricky.

BTW, the child probably is a dual citizen, and that is a prileged status. He should not only a British but also an...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: I've been divorced a few years. My ex-husband refuses to remove my name from the mortgage.

Our divorce decree did not specify my removal. I contacted the mortgage company and they said he will have to initiate my removal. We live in Kansas. Do I have any options?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 21, 2020

If the Mortgagee wants to keep you on the Mortgage, there is nothing you can do but pay it off. The former Spouse probably does not want, or cannot, refinance the loan.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Immigration Law for Kansas on
Q: Can I bring my fiancé from Egypt to the US?

My fiancé is from Egypt and I am a US citizen. We meet all the requirements in the Fiancé visa but we didn’t met because meeting before marriage violates our cultural and religious values. What can I do about this.

Adan Vega
Adan Vega
answered on Feb 26, 2020

The first page of the instructions of the FORM I-129F indicates that you are required to meet your fiance unless you can establish that meeting your fiancé in person will (1) violate strict and long - established customs of your fiance’s foreign culture /social practice or (2) result in extreme... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Kansas on
Q: If you married somne who was illegal unknowingly and left 2 days after and haven't heard or seen them in 18 years a

Are you legally married if they aren't legal

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
answered on Dec 26, 2018

No one unknowingly gets married. If you were married, and the marriage was registered and/or lawful, then the state rules of law apply where the marriage took place.

All human beings are legal for marriage purposes unless they are blood related to you or already married to someone else....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Estate Planning for Kansas on
Q: Would divorcing wife now, but continuing to live with her, still allow for Medicaid long term care 6 years from now?

I have stage 2 Parkinson's and will require long term care in the future. I have a pension, social security income that totals 50,000 dollars, which will go towards partial long term care when needed. I will likely need another 50,000 dollars for long term care. The question I need answered... View More

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on May 2, 2017

This sounds familiar -- have you asked this question before perhaps on a different legal advice website? The answer is the same. Your situation is FAR too complicated and fact specific to expect a good answer in this sort of forum. You need to consult with a local elder law / estate planning... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Health Care Law for Kansas on
Q: Can I divorce my wife, but then live with her for more than 5 years in order to protect assets from Medicaid look back?

I have stage 2 Parkinson's. My wife and I have discussed divorce as a means to protect our limited assets from being absorbed by my future long term care needs. Our thinking is divorce now and then hope I don't need any long term care for more than 5 years from now, at which point apply... View More

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Apr 27, 2017

There are ways to separate your assets without divorce, and protections for a 'community spouse' that will not force her into penury because of your illness.

You need to speak to a qualified local elder planning attorney to determine what you should do. Divorce is usually NOT a...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Kansas on
Q: I am trying to get a divorce but I don't know where he is and I don't have a lot of money. Can anyone help?
Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman
answered on Jan 20, 2017

Check out, which allows you to apply for free legal services if you don't have enough money.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Kansas on
Q: Can a person legally be servied divorce papers while in jail.
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
answered on Apr 23, 2013

Yes, but the procedure for this is very specific.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.