Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maine Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on
Q: My 16 year old daughter hates my rules and wants to live with her dad. Will I have to pay him child support now

My daughter is out of control. It's very hurtful. She thinks she's an adult at 16 and hates that I have rules. She said she's moving in with her dad even if I say no. Her dad was court ordered to pay me weekly child support. I've done everything for her. School, rides, doctors,... Read more »

Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis answered on Aug 17, 2017

The only way to modify a child support obligation is via a motion to modify child support. Even if your daughter is living with her father, his court order remains in place, and the obligation will be enforceable.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on
Q: I need to file a Motion to Enforce and Motion to Modify. Can I do this at the same time in Maine?
Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis answered on Aug 17, 2017

Yes, you can!

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Maine on
Q: I am 17 and pregnant and I live with my parents. Who is the legal guardian of my baby once they are born?
Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis answered on Jun 28, 2017

Congratulations to you!

When your baby is born, you will be the legal guardian of your baby.

Do your best and have fun!

- Joe

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Probate for Maine on
Q: My mother died and I am her only son. She lived with her boyfriend who was her p.o.a due to her illness. Do i get inheri

Am I inherited any of her life insurance money or does her power of attorney get all control of it

Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis answered on Jun 12, 2017

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Now that your mother is dead, the power of attorney that her boyfriend had is no longer in effect.

There are a lot of variables to consider when trying to figure out what happens to her estate generally, and you should definitely contact a probate...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Maine on
Q: Demanding money to sign quit claim deed extortion?

Had 90 days to refinance, paid loan off 5 years in because bank wouldn't refinance. maliciously, She threatened contempt because loan wasn't paid in time 16 years after the fact unless we give her money to sign quit claim deed. Which is court ordered for her to do. I feel like that's extortion.

Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis answered on Jun 12, 2017

Well, it probably isn't extortion, a word that has a precise legal meaning, but it does sound kind of rude.

Contempt won't work against you if you've already paid off the loan. In other words, you've done what you were told to do, albeit too slowly. On the other hand,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Criminal Law for Maine on
Q: Can criminal charges of perjury be sought against a spouse when they have filed a PFA with verifiable lies?

Specifically in relation to finances where one spouse has drained all the savings and then falsely accused the other of the actions.

Christian Foster Esq
Christian Foster Esq answered on Apr 28, 2016

You have not given me enough information to say for sure. If the spouse has made a statement under oath which he/she knew was not true there is a case for perjury or false swearing. There may also be a civil case for abuse of process if you can prove the spouse deliberately misused the judicial... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on
Q: Can my husband withhold money from the children and I while we are living in different states? He is in the Army.

We live in Maine while he is posted in Hunter Army Air Field, Savanna Georgia. He has been sending us two allotments, one on the 1st and one on the 15th, for the past 2.5 years. Now he has taken out the second allotment, saying that his commanding officers told him he is only required to send us... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 13, 2015

Talk to the commanding officer to verify that your husband was accurate when he related what the C.O. said. Assuming this is true, you don't appear to have much choice but to sue your husband for separation or divorce, including child support and perhaps alimony.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on
Q: If neither parent has gone to court for legal custody they was never married split up they have a savings account togeth

ER he took money out she's now holding baby from him can she do that

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Aug 28, 2015

Like I said in an earlier post, you need to go see a local attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Maine on
Robert Guillory Esq
Robert Guillory Esq answered on May 9, 2013

To get these rights in Maine is almost impossible. You would have to show the Court that at some point in the child's life you were essentially acting as the child's parent with the consent of the biological parents. You have to prove you were in the position of being a "de... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.