Maryland International Law Questions & Answers

Q: Need some advice here regarding my father, stepmom and custody that crosses international borders

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law and International Law for Maryland on
Answered on May 16, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
The parties interested in custody need to consult Maryland counsel. This issue cannot be competently handled by remote control with an interested, non-custodial step-brother.

Q: I want to file an international patent; what are specific procedures and requirements?

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property, International Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Maryland on
Answered on Nov 18, 2017
Kevin E. Flynn's answer
There is not really an international patent. There is a process to file a patent application which serves as the front end for the patent application systems for 152 countries or regions This is a Patent Cooperation Treaty Application (PCT). People sometimes call this an international patent but that is not accurate.

You can file a utility application here in the US and then file your PCT application within 12 months of that...

Q: Say, an ex girlfriend in Ireland is refusing to return my rightfully owned property back to me in the USA, what to do?

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 19, 2017
Richard Sternberg's answer
I'd need much more detail to give better advice, but the easy answer is to sue her in Ireland.

Q: Can an international student with F1 VISA work for in US ? Law abides a student to work only on-campus.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Maryland on
Answered on Oct 15, 2015
Shan Dimitris Potts' answer
You can not work without a work authorization, even if you work someone online and you are required to pay taxes for which you will need an SSN, which will only be provided to you if you have a work permit. Again, working without a legal work permit is illegal employment and you could deported for that. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known....

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.