Minnesota Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: Is there any possible way to get a new prosecutor and judge? Is there any way to reopen omnibus or restart a case?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Minnesota on
Answered on Feb 20, 2019
Thomas C Gallagher's answer
Reading that description, it sounds like you may want to replace your lawyer. If you do, your new lawyer may be able to ask for another Contested Omnibus Hearing. That would be an unusual request, and would need to have strong reasons to have a chance. But a new lawyer would have better chance to do it again, or raise similar issues in a different context. The defendant cannot influence who the prosecutor is, but can remove one judge without cause if done soon after learning which judge is...

Q: Legal Malpractice

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Minnesota on
Answered on Nov 7, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
Your location is Florida, I am unsure if you intended to ask this question in the Minnesota section. Legal malpractice claims are often frivolous. Your best bet is to consult with a lawyer who handles such claims.

Q: how do I find out if someone is actually a lawyer,

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 24, 2017
Joseph A. Gangi's answer
Search the Minnesota Attorney Registration System (MARS) database online

Q: can I get my retainer back if the attorney didn't defend me in court did say a word to the petitioners or there atty.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Legal Malpractice and Criminal Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Mar 3, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
1. You asked your attorney to file a civil complaint and there is no indication that your attorney could file a civil complaint in your case. In fact, based on the limited information you have provided your attorney would not be able to file a separate case.

2. You retained your attorney to represent you for a specific case. A separate, civil case would be a different case for which you would need to retain your attorney under a new agreement (and pay more money).

3. Your...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.