Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: Does Illinois require gutters? I live in Chicago and my roof is a gable roof.

If my neighbor is complaining about installing gutters, do I have to install them? Am I legally obligated to install them?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 16, 2020

An Illinois attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you are able to reach a local attorney, you could start some self-help research by looking into state building codes (and local ones as well, if they address the issue). If such regulations or codes exist,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: Are tasers legal to have and carry in Illinois if a person has a FOID card?

I'd like to keep on at home or in my purse/car.

Kimber Russell
Kimber Russell answered on Mar 10, 2020

Tasers are legal in IL with a valid FOID card, however, there are exceptions to when they may be used including:

--when you intend to use the weapon unlawfully against someone else

--while you’re masked or hooded in a way to hide your identity

--in a place licensed to sell...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: Can I call the judge who is reviewing a case and have them remove my letter of character?
William Wolf
William Wolf answered on Aug 11, 2019

No. You may not contact the judge. It is extremely inappropriate.

If you're the one accused and you are asking to have someone's letter on your behalf not be considered by the judge, you're going to have to talk to your attorney about it. If you're representing...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Municipal Law and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: What are my rights? A municipal is threatening to demolish my house.
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Sep 8, 2018

There is no way to answer this question without knowing why the municipality is threatening to demolish your house, what their local ordinances provide and whether their local ordinances are appropriate under state law. The stakes are high, so you need to make an appointment with a local lawyer as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: If someones incarcerated in the state of Illinois & said to be mentally unstable & should be in psych-ward by the jails

own psychologist, but the jail will not comply with the doctors recommendation for the inmate to be moved, what can their family do in order to get the jail to move him so he can get the help he needs?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on May 27, 2018

Hire an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: Can you report someone for blocking your alley with snow

Okay so there’s this guy that moves snow from alley to alley and always blocks my alley and I have no way of getting out And it’s annoying because he always moves it there and I always have to clean it again and again and it gets annoying you know

Brandon K. Davis
Brandon K. Davis answered on Mar 18, 2018

You can report it to the city.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: I refused to sign a ticket that was given to me for swerving. I wasn't swerving. What happens if I do not pay or appear?

I believe I was pulled over for going through a yellow. Cop pulled a u-turn and followed me for a half mile. I put on my left blinker and turned, he pulled me over. Never told me why he pulled me over. Asked if I had been drinking, I said yes one beer three hours prior. Was asked by another officer... Read more »

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry answered on Jun 4, 2017

If it's a must appear ticket, there could be an arrest warrant.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: I need to file a rule 222 disclosure statement in boone county il. is there a form available or what do i need to do?
Timothy J. Deffet
Timothy J. Deffet answered on Jul 17, 2012

I would recommend looking at They have sample forms you can use. This should not be a substitute for legal advice from an attorney but it may be a start. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: Is it okay to shoot a BB gun in Antioch Ill?
Burton A. Padove
Burton A. Padove answered on Jul 13, 2011

You can look up the municpal code and ordinances for Antioch and find out. Many towns have their codes and ordinances available online. If Antioch does not, usually the local library will have it. The municipal clerk will have a copy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.