North Dakota Bankruptcy Questions & Answers

Q: I received a letter in the mail today that threatened legal action for a debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice, Small Claims and Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 19, 2019
Timothy Denison's answer
If the MD stature is 3 years, then the statute has expired and they cannot sue you.

Q: I currently live in Minot ND ..I have a lot of debt that I know I can't pay or ever catch up on I wanted to file.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Answered on Oct 19, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
Check with the local bar association and legal aid and ask them to refer you to a bankruptcy attorney who can help you.

Q: ND bankruptcy - If separated but not divorced can one just one person file bankruptcy?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 16, 2018
Cristina M. Lipan's answer
You can always file bankruptcy individually, even while married. However, still being married may have some affect on your bankruptcy case. It's best to review all your financial information with an attorney before you file so you're clear on what will happen.

Information provided for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.

Q: How do I beging filing for bankruptcy?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 10, 2014
Andrew Bresalier's answer
A: If you are a natural person, verses a fictitious (i.e. corp, llc, etc.), you are permitted to represent yourself in court. However, Bky is a VERY COMPLICATED area of law, involving a combination of State Laws and Federal Procedures.

To File, you should Prepare a Petition and Supporting Schedules, along with Means Test and other documents required in your jurisdiction. Examples/Samples should be available at the District Court Bankruptcy Division’s Website for your jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.