Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Puerto Rico Probate Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: Im from Puerto Rico I prepared and notarized my will in New Jersey. Would that be valid in puerto rico?

Im afraid of loosing it. Who can hold the will?

Miraisy Molina-Ruiz
Miraisy Molina-Ruiz answered on Oct 17, 2016

It really doesn't matter where you prepared your will. The important fact is that the will meets the legal criteria needed in Puerto Rico. Have a lawyer have it checked just in case.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: How do I go about getting myself removed as the executor of an estate in PR after my brother has already passed?

I was named as executor, but want nothing to do with the estate. My brother has five children; however, one is handicapped and under the guardianship of my brother's ex-wife.

Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino answered on Sep 15, 2016

I will need more information of the case. But in general, in Puerto Rico for resign your part of the inheritance or the executor designation it has to be thru a public document before a Notary Public. If you are out of Puerto Rico and not willing to visit the Island for this purpose, you can give a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: My deceased father had a bank account in Puerto Rico, to which I am the beneficiary. What is process for claiming it?

I live in the U.S., as did my father when he passed away. I want to know what documents I need as beneficiary to the funds in the bank account?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 14, 2015

Have you asked the bank? Usually you need at least a certified copy of the death certificate. What type of account was it? Was it a joint account with rights of survivorship or a pay on death account, or some other type of account?

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: My mother died suddenly during a routine operation and left no will. How do I proceed?

My younger brother has begun selling my mothers belongs and kept several of her effects and all of the financial proceeds; plus her vehicle.

Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers
Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers answered on Oct 1, 2014

In P.R., you must file in the court a petition for a Declaration of Heirs.

If you don't have good communication with your brother, it is strongly suggested that you seek a probate attorney ASAP in the area where the house is located.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: My dad passed away in 2010 in Puerto Rico, my sister was in charge of estate. I was completely left out of will.

What can, or should, I do?

Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers
Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers answered on Mar 1, 2013

In Puerto Rico, the law provides forced heirs. In general, the law reserves a minimum of 1/3 of the deceased estate to the forced heirs. A forced heir can be left out of the inheritance by disinheritance through a will and only under the grounds provided by law. If you were excluded of the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.