Rhode Island Sexual Harassment Questions & Answers

Q: What is the statute of limitations for sexual harrassment and also sexual harassment in the work place in Rhode island??

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for Rhode Island on
Answered on Feb 27, 2019
Neville Bedford's answer
Time Limits

180 days to file a charge

(may be extended by state laws)

Federal employees have 45 days to contact an EEO Counselor

source: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sexual_harassment.cfm

In other words, the worst case scenario might be that you have 180 days from the date when you last endured sexual harassment in which to file a claim. Depending on your state, you may have more time.

If you go beyond the time period to file a sexual...

Q: How can a member of a Laborers union fight against being wrongfully terminated due to nepotism by the union steward??

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Contracts and Employment Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Mar 3, 2018
Bernard P. Healy's answer
I do not have sufficient information to answer this question fully or accurately. Let me give you my initial impressions. I assume you are a member of a Laborers Union which has assigned you for many years to a specific business. You have apparently performed your job well and you are being forced out of your position because the union steward wants a relation of his to fill that position.

While discrimination is barred under many State and Federal Laws, including Rhode Island's Fair...

Q: I am 17 but i was 16 at the time i got raped by a 20 year old man who was my boyfriend

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Rhode Island on
Answered on Nov 6, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
1) you were raped. It's a crime. You should really report that to the police.

2) you may file a civil suit but if the rapist has no money there isn't a civil case that can be brought that won't cost you more.

3) consult a member of the RI assn for justice to discuss your options.I believe the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the event, but in the case of a minor, 3 years from your 18th birthday.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.