Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Securities Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Virginia Securities Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: I live in an apartment complex. A neighbor recently installed video cameras. He installed not for security but to spy.

He had them facing are building and was told by management to face them in common area and that he could not have cameras on the outside. He took it down but hide it on his balcony in a wreath on that he hung on the storage closet door. He is using them to tattle on anyone walking their dog that... View More

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
answered on Apr 8, 2021

If you feel strongly about this issue, you can bring a lawsuit against the neighbor in the court in which the premises is located.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation, Business Law and Securities Law for Virginia on
Q: Does a company need to register as a financial advisor if partners or members are only buying/selling securities?

Wanted to know because I'm looking to open a partnership or llc. No financial advice will be given to partners or members. One person would do all the transactions on behalf of company. This is for investment purposes.

Robert W. Pearce
Robert W. Pearce
answered on Oct 8, 2020

If the transactions are by the Managing Member or General Partner for and only on behalf of the company in only its private securities account and the company is not in the business of just buying and selling securities as a Broker or Dealer then in my opinion no registration would be required.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Intellectual Property and Securities Law for Virginia on
Q: Is it illegal to destroy and tamper with surveillance
Timothy John Billick
Timothy John Billick
answered on Oct 6, 2020

Most likely yes. It would depend largely on the purpose for such destruction/tampering.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Virginia on
Q: If an advisor gets suspended from FINRA for 60 days and another advisor will be taking their place, can they receive

the advisors trails to operate the business?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Aug 28, 2019

What are "advisor trails"?

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Securities Law for Virginia on
Q: Can a rental apartment complex demand copy of my new born child birth certificate and social security nunber?
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
answered on Sep 30, 2017

To the best of my knowledge, a landlord or the managing agent has no right under the Virginia Code to demand the documents that you described, unless that right is stated in the lease that you signed.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Virginia on
Q: What can I do to get my money back from Private Shares in company I invested. (Not publicly traded)

I bout 440 shares in this company almost 10 years ago now. I have the share certificate. I have called repeatedly and asked for information, financials, and they never answer or return any of my calls. I am tired of getting the run around. I have provided my contact information (phone, address)... View More

Adam Savett
Adam Savett
answered on Apr 15, 2013

You should discuss the situation with a lawyer that specializes in securities law. Many will offer free initial consultations, and they can give a more in depth answer since you will be able to share more details with them than this process allows.

The answer should be in documents you...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.