Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 New Jersey Estate Planning Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Banking and International Law for New Jersey on
Q: If Im poa on my Dad's account, that can't be affected by my bankruptcy? Also can I open a new account with us both on?

My father is moving to a new country next week and I am newly appointed durable power of attorney over his financial accounts.... If I file bankruptcy that shouldn't effect his banks accounts correct? Also I was thinking of opening a new checking account with my father and myself as joint... View More

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 10, 2020

Do not open any bank accounts until after your bankruptcy is discharged. Do not look for problems. You also need to be represented by an experienced Bankruptcy attorney. What you do not know can cause you all sorts of problems. You really need to leave things alone. Even with the Pandemic, if you... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey on
Q: Can I do a simplified probate procedure in NJ myself or do I need a lawyer?

I am 80+ yr old widow with residence in NJ. My husband passed away recently without a will. All his assets passed to me without probate except for an old car. The car was titled in his name only. I need to transfer title of the car to myself so I can sell it. I have heard there is a simplified... View More

H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
answered on Aug 23, 2020

The real question would be how much is the car worth. If it is under 20K you are in luck see NJSA 3B:10-3. which discusses when a spouse or domestic partner is entitled to assets without administration. For your second question, yes a lot of this can be done remotely now due to Covid 19. Saying... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: I own a home with mom that pasted away and have a mortgage. I have 4 siblings that won’t let me rent out the apt

I can’t afford the mortgage by myself. I have a sibling that lives There and pays nothing. Now that my mom is gone refuses to pay anything.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 29, 2020

I am sorry to learn of your Mom's passing. I know exactly what you went through. What you are going to need to do to solve this problem is to bring a partition action to enable a sale of the property. If your mom past without a will then you will need a Probate attorney in addition to a civil... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.