Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 New York Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Question about ACD for petit larceny

I received an ACD for petit larceny back around the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020. Along with the usual "don't get arrested again" bit, part of the deal was to complete 20 hours of community service but for reasons including the unexpected arrival of the pandemic, I was unable to... Read more »

Brian Berkowitz
Brian Berkowitz answered on Jul 16, 2021

Thank you for your question. This is not something you want to have hanging over your head and if possible, you should reach out to the attorney who originally handled your case to see what, if anything they can do to help you and answer your questions. If you are unable or unwilling to contact... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Traffic Tickets for New York on
Q: Can a traffic related misdemeanor effect my US citizenship application process? I have green card & take final test soon

I’m a green card holder and have my final citizenship interview this month. The misdemeanor was from driving with an expired drivers license and getting rear ended (I’m not at fault for accident), but the officer said if I can renew my license before my court date, it should be able to be... Read more »

Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru answered on Sep 7, 2020

There's no way of telling whether or not the misdemeanor will effect your immigration status without more details. Also, as far as renewing your license, it's rather straightforward now (make an appointment, or do it online). Consult with a law office who will try to get the ticket... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Is it possible for a judge to seal your record immediately at the time of the guilty plea? (NYC)

7 Years ago (age 20-22?) I was charged with Felony Grand Larceny. I have done several background checks and I’m unable to find the charge. The situation was very unique and borderline civil! The judge I could tell was unhappy with me being there (she said multiple times “I don’t like this at... Read more »

Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit answered on May 11, 2020

If you plead guilty to a crime, I doubt it was sealed. When the courts finally re-open after this pandemic, go to the court clerks office and request a Certificate of Disposition. You can possibly have your matter sealed after 10 years after the conviction pursuant to CPL section 160.59

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Is it possible to get my loved one released from prison early due to him having high risk asthma During covid-19?
Michael J Stachowski
Michael J Stachowski answered on Apr 8, 2020

It depends on time left and jurisdiction. In the federal courts there is the first step and compassionate Release. In the state if it’s a misdemeanor many DA’s are not opposing release resentence motions. I think if an inmate has diabetes heart problems or asthma or other respiratory issues... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.