Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Texas Employment Discrimination Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: Like file a civil suit against my Ex-employer for freedom of speech violation, which I was fired. statue of limitation?

Subject: Seeking Legal Representation for Complex Employment and Health-Related Case

I hope this letter finds you well. I am currently facing a complex legal situation that involves various issues related to my employment and health. After thorough research, I believe your expertise in... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 5, 2023

In Texas, the statute of limitations for filing a civil lawsuit for wrongful termination, which may include claims like violation of freedom of speech, depends on the specific nature of the claim. Generally, for wrongful termination claims, the statute of limitations is typically around two years,... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Texas on
Q: Do I have legal protections after administrator interfered with hiring?

I was working for contract company in a nursing home. The administrator and nursing directors of the facility sent intimidating messages through my director to me because they didn’t like my required reporting of changes in patient conditions, which I am legally, ethically, and morally obligated... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jul 26, 2023

Since you were laid off, and not fired for cause, you have standing to collect unemployment benefits from your former employer. You can apply for such benefits online through the Texas Workforce Commission website and most likely will not require the services of a lawyer.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas on
Q: Are employers allowed to force and administer a Covid 19 test
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Sep 21, 2022

No, but they can make it a condition of continued employment under many circumstances. If such a test is “job related and consistent with business necessity,” the employer can require a COVID-19 test as a condition of continued employment. This is largely being interpreted as meaning will the... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas on
Q: Can an employer make you get a covid vaccine for employment consideration? Sounds discriminatory to me.
Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert
answered on May 18, 2021

Generally, the answer to this question is yes. However, there are two exceptions to this general rule. If you have a religious objection to receiving the vaccine, or if you suffer from a disability that renders you unable to receive the vaccine, you can request an exemption from this requirement as... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas on
Q: Employer let me go after telling me to quarantine and test. Results were negative and let go day 13 of 14 quarantine.

I was informed I had been exposed to the virus. When I told employer they said go home and quarantine immediately for two weeks and get tested. After receiving negative results I contacted immediate supervisor via text. After no response I contacted the owners wife via text stating when I would be... View More

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
answered on Dec 30, 2020

It sounds like your employer may have violated the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. Subject to some exceptions, employers with less than 500 employees are required to make 80 hours of paid sick leave available for full-time employees, and the equivalent... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law, Constitutional Law and Employment Discrimination for Texas on
Q: Discrimination during COVID 19 and sexual harassment

I was furloughed for COVID 19, and my employer said for 2 months he couldn’t afford to call me back to work. All the men in my department were back and working the whole 2 months I was gone. Now he is offering me a lower pay rate and is putting me in another department, and replaced my shift with... View More

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert
answered on Jun 9, 2020

It sounds like you may have a claim for sex discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. To establish this claim, you have to prove you were qualified for your original job, you suffered an adverse employment action (a pay cut or demotion to a less favorable or prestigious job... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.