Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Foreclosure Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Massachusetts on
Q: Hello! My parents had a reverse mortgage and I'm told an heir can buy the house. Can I negotiate the price?

can I negotiate a price due to the shape it is in? It needs a lot of work. I had it appraised, but it's still too much. Also, who holds the deed to the house. The heirs or the bank. I have seen enter into a deed instead of foreclosure, but I want to buy the house. Any help would be great.... Read more »

Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow answered on Jun 24, 2020

Typically in a reverse mortgage scenario, the borrower does not Deed the property to the bank. It remains in their name. Deeds are public record, and quickly accessible online. Click on your county and search with name or address.

In most cases, when...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts on
Q: My ex wife’s mortgage is in my name, if she stops paying the mortgage will it hurt my credit?

She’s responsible for all costs associated with the home per the divorce decree. I have a perfect credit score and I really don’t want this to screw things up. She hasn’t paid it in 2 months. I’m really not sure how to go about this.

Timothy E. Angley
Timothy E. Angley answered on Dec 10, 2019

Short answer: Yes, it will hurt your credit. If your name is on the mortgage and it is being reported to the credit agencies, then as soon as that mortgage is reported as late that will be a ding on your credit. You can dispute your responsibility for the expenses with the agencies, but until... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Massachusetts on
Q: we are currently in foreclosure, but have not heard from the atty representing the bank for several weeks. Can we sell ?

Or should we declare bankruptcy (Chapt 13)? If we do, will we be allowed to sell the property ? Obviously, we do not want to lose the house. I am 71, my spouse is 66, & we have resided here for 26 years. We are seeking pro bono help if possible.Thank you...

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley answered on Feb 10, 2019

The attorney general and banking commissioner both have foreclosure units. You should contact them and legal services. If you are willing to sell the house, you may be able to work something out with the bank's attorney to get time to do so.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can the bank foreclose on my house when I'm the only one on deed and ex husband is only on the mortgage

I was awarded house in divorce my name is not on mortgage and the only one on deed, how can I get it back before foreclosure?

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley answered on Jul 18, 2018

Unfortunately, the lender can foreclose on the mortgage even though only your name is on the deed and only your ex-husband's name is on the mortgage. As long as the mortgage was validly created, regardless of who gave it and who currently owns the property, a lender is always entitled to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I bid and won foreclosed auction property. There are motions for eviction filed, can I get out of this w/out losing $?

I recently bid and won a property thru foreclosure. I have not closed on the property but was notified by the current owners, thru their attorney that there has been a motion filed for foreclosure for the current tenants. Frankly, I have no interest in pursuing this property compounded with the... Read more »

John Espinosa
John Espinosa answered on May 28, 2018

Foreclosure auctions are generally governed by this statute:

When you gave your deposit you would have signed a contract with the auctioneer. That contract determines the specifics. You need to start by having...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Massachusetts on
Q: I go through with a foreclosure sale will I ever be able to buy a house again?
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 23, 2017

It might damage your credit, and that might serve as an obstacle to acquiring future loans. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.