Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan International Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Tax Law for Michigan on
Q: Are international students allowed to buy stocks and crypto and are they allowed to day trade stocks and crypto
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 24, 2023

Under U.S. immigration law, international students who are studying in the United States on an F-1 visa are generally allowed to invest in stocks and cryptocurrency. However, they may be subject to certain restrictions and regulations.

According to the U.S. Securities and Exchange...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Michigan on
Q: I have an Italian friend online who wants to meet. Will she have trouble getting into the US to stay with me?

We have never met in person before. She is a college student. She would be staying at my house with my family. The stay will be about 60 days then she will return to Italy to get back to her college studies.

Juan V. Cervantes
Juan V. Cervantes
answered on Jul 8, 2017

So long as she can prove she intends to maintain her foreign residence, it should not be a problem.

If you want to ensure that she arrives in the US without a hitch, contact an immigration attorney so they can guide you and her through the process.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I serve papers by courier abroad to a non-Hague country?

I need to serve papers to an individual in Malaysia, a non-Hague country. I have the woman's mailing address/location. Here is what the US Dept of State says about service:

"Malaysia is not a party to the Hague Service Convention. In the absence of any prohibition against it,... Read more »

Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris
answered on Feb 15, 2017

This would be valid service under Michigan law, provided that the courier is a competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party. But that does not mean that the Michigan court would have jurisdiction over the defendant, or that the judgment you might obtain would be... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.