Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Stuart Austin
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: I was convicted in 1989 for a non-violent felony, did 5 yrs probation, 1 yr of drug rehab. I want my record sealed

I do not have a copy of my arrest record or the number I was assigned, probation office said everything is in archives and nothing will come up with my name on it. I was arrested under my married name

Stuart Austin
Stuart Austin answered on Sep 30, 2020

Depending on the crime and if you have been clean for 10 years you may be eligible to have your case sealed. Your case should be on microfiche at the courthouse and you will have to order it. You need to bring id with your married name. Once you receive the papers... call us and we will review... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Can a person commit a hate crime on Craigslist

A person said to me on craigslist that I was a type of person that was derogatory that was saying about me being black in my family and saying it’s not right all you are a type of people shouldn’t be existing or something like that

Stuart Austin
Stuart Austin answered on Aug 28, 2020

Yes. A person may commit Aggravated Harassment over the internet. It may, however, be difficult to ascertain who actually wrote the message.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: I have a criminal summons for harassment in the second, no physical violence and I don't have a record. I have a witness

Should I acquire a lawyer or defend myself. The young lady who is claiming the harassment was harassing me. It all started when my fiance tapped her bumper, she began to rant and rave I was a passenger in the backseat. She targeted me refused to allow me out of the car and began screaming I want... Read more »

Stuart Austin
Stuart Austin answered on Aug 17, 2020

For the charge of harassment in NYS there does not necessarily have to be physical contact. You may wish to see if there are cameras around which caught the incident. A private investigator can do this on your behalf. I would be happy to go over your paperwork and advise you regarding your case.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: I have bench warrant for misdemeanor bail jumping for vandalism plus misdemeanor vop . how much jail time I might get?

Charges : bail jumping for misdemeanor damage property plus 2 misdemeanor trespassing charges and I violated my probation for misdemeanor littering outside.

I paid my bail in full.

I was charged back in Oct 2018.

If I surrender how much jail time I am looking to?

Stuart Austin
Stuart Austin answered on Aug 10, 2020

In NYS an A misdemeanor is punishable by up to one year in jail. No matter how many you have the maximum sentence would increase to 2 years. With that being said, it has been my experience that a bail jumping charge is difficult to prove and usually results in a plea bargain. Because your cases... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on
Q: Speeding ticket on the parkway going 60 in a 35 but I’m sure I was not there was also no traffic and 1 car

I also know that it depends on the angle of the gun and that they are not very accurate this officer was also telling me that it would be very easy to get out of it He was not very professional I tried asking what I did before providing my id but he wouldn’t tell me until I did and after he came... Read more »

Stuart Austin
Stuart Austin answered on Aug 9, 2020

What county was the ticket issued and returnable? are you looking to plea bargain the ticket or to fight it? Did he use a laser or radar or pace the vehicle or simply observation?

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.