Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Bruce Brian Dizengoff
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I sponsor my grandmother for legal residency if parent is dead?

My grandmother in her 80s; she is retired and therefore not seeking employment nor full citizenship. Her son (my father) died before my mother and I immigrated to the US. My mother is now remarried. I am my grandmother's only direct relative with American citizenship.Can I sponsor her for... Read more »

Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
answered on Oct 14, 2014

It is wonderful that you are interested in trying to sponsor your elderly grandmother. However, the grandparent / grandchild relationship unfortunately does not result in eligibility for family sponsored lawful permanent residence.

Perhaps your grandmother could benefit from another...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: As a PR since 2006, I accidently voted in 2008 (I didn't know

Good Afternoon. As a Permanent Resident since 2006, I accidently voted in presidential election in 2008 (I didn't know back then that its a deportable offense. I would have never done it if I knew how serious this is)) . I’ve never applied for a citizenship so I guess I’m way pass... Read more »

Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
answered on Oct 9, 2014

Unlawful voting or otherwise making a false claim to United States citizenship is a serious violation that carries with it severe immigration consequences. Misconduct of this nature constitutes a ground of inadmissibility, as well as a basis for placement in removal proceedings. Under the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: Im on a tourist visa. I married my US citizen boyfriend here in Texas. Can I stay and have change of Status.

My visa will expire next month October 27, 2014

Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
answered on Oct 7, 2014

Congratulations on your marriage! You are able to adjust your status from that of a tourist to to that of a lawful permanent resident (LPR) based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen. In fact, your legal entry into the United States would excuse any unlawful presence or unlawful employment in this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Florida on
Q: What is the first step in becoming a U.S. citizen I am Costa Rican and married to an American for 3 years with a child?

My daughter is a dual citizen and we will be living in Florida?

Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
answered on Oct 7, 2014

The first step would be for your U.S. citizen spouse to file with USCIS a Form I-130, "Petition for Alien Relative," as well as supporting documentation establishing that your marriage is genuine. In addition, you would need to file a Form I-485, "Application to Register Permanent... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.