Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Matt A Munson

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah on

Q: Should I just pay the ticket or also do the traffic school or contest in court?

I was driving northbound on I-15 coming form Vegas and was close to Nephi, UT. Speed limit was 80 and I was driving around 90. Office from other side took a U Turn and pulled me over and told me I was driving at 92 and gave me ticket. I admitted to him I was driving around 90 as I am a physician... Read more »

Matt A Munson answered on Jun 5, 2017

It will likely be difficult to defend this, given your admission, unless you can establish that the officer's radar is/was faulty. In my opinion, a PIA is your best option, as it at least gives you a chance of keeping this from going on your record. If you pay the fine, it goes on your record,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah on

Q: I have a traffic violation for speeding 82 in a 60 mph area. I'm below the age of 21.

I've been pulled over and given a warning 3 years ago for speeding, but other than that I haven't had an incident. I just need to know how I get my points reduced, if I can avoid getting my license suspended, and if I need to hire legal help. I'm a college student, so I don't really have the money.

Matt A Munson answered on Jun 5, 2017

It is not likely that the prosecutor will dismiss this case outright. However, if you have a clean driving record, that will likely help your cause. My recommendation would be to approach the prosecutor and see if they would be amenable to allowing you to plead No Contest to Speeding (79mph in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Utah on

Q: Would it be legal for my girlfriend to live with me once we are 18 if I can provide for her?

Matt A Munson answered on Jun 5, 2017

If you are both consenting adults (18+), you may co-habitate, so long as there is not an Order from a Court preventing you from doing so (i.e. Protective Order, etc.)

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for South Carolina on

Q: Is it legal for credit card companies to withdraw money from your checking account if you're in bankruptcy?

Matt A Munson answered on Jun 5, 2017

All creditors are strictly prohibited from making ANY collection efforts while bankruptcy proceedings are pending, unless they have been granted Relief of Stay from the bankruptcy court.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.