Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Chad Silver
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: what is the best way to report unreported income for small business that has gone for many years. what kind of lawyer?

we have a small business that had cash sales. we did not report these sales for years. we would like to come clean and report these sales to possibly prevent future prosecution, fines and possible jail time.

Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 26, 2018

A Tax Attorney would be the best professional to guide you through this process. It is very important the matter is handled with someone you have an Attorney Client privilege with. You can contact our office at 855-900-1040.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: I just received a notice saying I owe GA state taxes from 2012 , this is the first time I have heard from them.

They state I owe 212.00 plus penalty and interest. Is this a valid claim on their part ? I mean 6 yrs after filing then bam you owe this ? I have never owed Ga state taxes since I have lived here for 15 yrs.

Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 19, 2018

The only way to know is to have a Tax Attorney contact Georgia and conduct a State Tax Investigation. Please let me know if my firm can help: 855-900-1040. The statue of limitations for Georgia runs longer than the IRS.


Chad Silver Sliver Tax Group

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support and Tax Law for Colorado on
Q: I have a signed 8332 and divorce decree grants me to claim child on taxes. Can I still claim if I have arrears balance?

The 8332 is for all years and states the same in our divorce decree. I am in arrears from 2016 and 2017 that just got a judgement on it. I understand they will take my return, but can I still claim my child?

Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 17, 2018

The new Tax Code changes as a result of the Jobs Act removed your ability to claim a child as a dependent. You may still be eligible for child care tax credits. This is the first year for the new changes and you may be surprised (happy or mad) about the results.


Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: We need help understanding Arkansas Code 26-36-301 as it applies to our specific situation.

We are on a payment plan to the University of Arkansas for an amount that was overpaid to my husband during his employment at the UofA. We’ve received notification that this debt will be collected in its entirety from our tax refund (should we get one) regardless of the fact that we have a steady... Read more »

Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 16, 2018

If there was judgment on the balance owed against you it would be very difficult and costly to dispute. The smartest way to handle that would be good tax planning to ensure you have no refund coming back at the end of the year for the creditor to intercept. If you can ensure the tax withholding... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Washington on
Q: Can my current wife and I gift my townhome to my son and his mother, my first wife without paying a gift tax?
Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 16, 2018

This depends on how much the value of the townhome is. There are tax free gifts available but it depends on the amount to be gifted. Please give my office a call so we can discuss the proper gift tax returns and amounts you can gift tax free. Call Silver Tax Group at 855-900-1040



2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Elder Law for New York on
Q: Hello. Does a person in a long term care inpatient facility in NY have to pay taxes? SS, 401K, pension?

Does the person admitted to long term care inpatient have to pay taxes on their pension, Social security, $401K can those taxes stop being withheld? She was admitted in June. Is she responsible for tax payment from Jan to June? Is she exempt from June to the present?

Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 16, 2018

The only legal tool to stop collection activity would be to have an Tax Attorney negotiate a hardship status with the IRS. Just because she was admitted to a long term inpatient care facility does not negate the legal duty to pay taxes. However, there are a number of avenues available to prevent... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.