Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Thomas Murphy

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Wisconsin on

Q: what is involved in filing for bankruptcy and what is the cost?

Thomas Murphy answered on Mar 2, 2016

The answer depends on the type of petition filed. For example, in the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the filing fee for Chapter 7 is $335 plus attorney's fees if you were to hire an attorney. The cost to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy in the Eastern District is $310 plus attorney's fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I was at Walmart with another person who apparently stole something. Now they want me in there store to question and won

Won't give me anymore info what do I do

Thomas Murphy answered on Mar 2, 2016

It would be in your best interest to consult a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible if you haven't already. Based on the limited facts given, it is difficult to say whether the police want to simply question you as a witness or potentially charge you as a party to a crime. A criminal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut on



Thomas Murphy answered on Mar 1, 2016

Under 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, a spouse of a U.S. citizen may apply for naturalization after being a green card holder for three years provided, among other things, the U.S. citizen spouse has been a U.S. citizen during the entire three-year period. Based on that language,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Wisconsin on

Q: My neighbors rent a duplex and sublet one side can they evict their subletters?

The subletters and the renters had a verbal agreement on rent and agreed to payments and to pay everything in full once taxes were back and 3 days later received and eviction notice. Just wondering if that was legal for them to do or if the owner had to do the eviction. Also is a verbal agreement... Read more »

Thomas Murphy answered on Feb 29, 2016

As to your first question, more information is necessary to give you a conclusive answer. The sublessor may have had written authorization to commence the eviction on the owner's behalf, which may or may not apply in this case. Regarding your second question, periodic tenancies for less than a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on

Q: What kind of Lawyer do I need for problems with neighbors that has caused problems with the city.

For a week now the neighbors has been causing me trouble calling the police and the city lying about what is happening with my dogs. They are calling me a puppy mill ( I have 5 puppies), saying I don't clean my yard. That my male has gone after them or that they HAD to hide in their house because... Read more »

Thomas Murphy answered on Feb 24, 2016

Your ideal attorney would have experience in real estate, landlord-tenant, municipal, nuisance, and animal law.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on

Q: REAL ESTATE: How would I find an attorney familiar with the process of purchasing residential "Air Rights" in Wisconsin?

REAL ESTATE: How would I find an attorney that is familiar with the process involved in purchasing "Air Rights" in Wisconsin (specifically the City of Madison)? Although arranging in Madison to build (for commercial purposes) on top of an existing structure is not new (Urban Land Interests added 4... Read more »

Thomas Murphy answered on Feb 24, 2016

Based on your question, it sounds as though you might want to consider looking for a commercial real estate attorney in Madison who has experience with commercial leases, zoning, air rights, land use, and dealing with municipal entities. I am unable to refer you to any specific attorneys, but... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Illinois on

Q: My wife just received her green card, but everything came back under her maiden name. Is that normal?

I'm a US citizen and I sponsored her. Shouldn't all her documents come under her married name?

Thomas Murphy answered on Feb 24, 2016

It depends on the documents you provided when you filed and the name listed on those documents. Generally, the card would be issued under the name provided in the relevant documents unless you filed the petition with supplemental legal documents such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.