Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Sergio G. Chaidez
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: My security deposit is not returned and I'm being charged for cleaning. Is that legal?

My security deposit of $1200 is not being returned and my landlord wants an additional $1800 for cleaning and repair. The fact is that I returned the property to him in better condition than when we moved in. His claims are for items that were an issue when we moved in.

Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez answered on Aug 9, 2016

Hello. California law allows a landlord to use a security deposit for four purposes: 1) unpaid rent; 2) for cleaning the unit, but only to make the unit as clean as when the tenant first moved in; 3) for repair of damages, other than normal wear and tear, caused by the tenant or his/her guests; and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Traffic Tickets for California on
Q: Do we have to pay a fee to the tow yard if we intend to let them keep the car?

Our car was towed for expired tags and we've decided not to claim it and intend to leave it, as is, at the tow yard. The tow yard says we must pay $190.00 if we intend to do this and bring them the pink slip. Is this a valid fee? Must we really pay this fee for a car that we're losing... Read more »

Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez answered on Aug 9, 2016

Hello. The tow yard charged a fee for towing and then storing the car. It will sell the car at auction or otherwise to pay those fees. If the proceeds from the sale (minus costs of selling it) do not cover the fees, it will have a claim against you for the deficiency. I do not know where this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Consumer Law and Contracts for California on
Q: I am photographer if my memory card is corrupted and data not recovered. Can client file case against me?

Actually i booked a wedding assignment. I gave everything whatever committed but only one function's video could not be given as my card was corrupted and after many efforts i could not be able to recover the data in card. For this, client has not paid the balance amount imfact they are... Read more »

Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez answered on Aug 9, 2016

Yes, they can file. Whether they will win is another question. It depends on the terms of your agreement with them. If your agreement with them is in writing, I would look to that to see what it says about failure of equipment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.