Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Michael Edwards

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Wisconsin on

Q: In Wisconsin can you get in trouble for dating someone while still legally married.?

Michael Edwards answered on Aug 2, 2017

If I am understanding your question correctly, the answer would be that there is no issue with this. If your in the middle of divorce proceedings, for instance, feel free to date as you please. You will not be able to remarry during the divorce process as well as for a period of 6 months after the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Wisconsin on

Q: i have been paying for child support and on my days to visit my kids. my ex husband won't let me see them. What do I do?

Michael Edwards answered on Aug 2, 2017

If there is a current court order in place that gives you specific visitation times and he is withholding that placement from you, you need to file an Enforcement of Physical Placement motion with the court of jurisdiction. However, if the court order states your placement as "reasonable times upon... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Wisconsin on

Q: I have a suspended CS order and another claim against my ex got filed in the meantime, how is % figured, as I filed 1st?

When my ex went to prison I suspended the child support order I had against him for our two children. 8 years later he is out of prison and hasn't offered any help and now I find out he has child support taken out of his wages for another child he had. I assume that she is receiving 17%. My... Read more »

Michael Edwards answered on Jun 26, 2017

For two children, the flat rate percentage standard in Wisconsin is 25% of the paying parent's gross income. There are a number of different reasons one could argue for the court to deviate from this percentage standard if the court finds that the use of the percentage is unfair to the child or to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: My question (s) are about my girlfriends divorce which is contentious to say the least. To detailed for the amount of s.

My main question is if living with my girlfriend in her marital home can effect the financial outcome when the final decree is ordered by the judge?

Michael Edwards answered on Jun 22, 2017

I don't believe this would make much of a difference in the final judgment of divorce. The only potential ways it could make any sort of difference might be with regard to child support payments or maintenance payments. Other than that, it really shouldn't make much of a difference that you are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Wisconsin on

Q: My 15 yr old wants to come live with me. Her dad and i were never married and never went to court for custody.

Can i keep her when she comes for the summer. CPS has been called on her dad and gf twice and nothing has been done. She isnt safe...She lives by lacrosse Wi and i live by Madison...what can i do....

Michael Edwards answered on Jun 12, 2017

Considering that it doesn't sound like there are any existing court orders regarding placement and custody, it seems to me that you would be best off petitioning the court in Dane County for custody and placement orders. Without any existing orders in place, you would most likely have to open an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I and my husband divorced. Him and I made a agreement that we will have the kids one week on one week off....

Him and I talked about me moving out of town . When it came time and I moved he got upset and is now taking me to court.... What can I do.

Michael Edwards answered on Jun 12, 2017

It depends on if this agreement on placement was part of the initial divorce proceeding. In other words, if you incorporated this agreement in writing as part of the divorce proceedings and the court accepted this, then it is a court order and he is obliged to follow it. However, if for some reason... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.