Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Kristi Burmeister
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Family Law for Missouri on
Q: I am 28 and would like to make sure that my mother has no legal claim over an inheritance in the event of my death.

I have a sister on my mother's side that I would like to still get an inheritance as well as an uncle on my mother's side that should get a piece too. I don't have any children and I'm not currently married.

Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister answered on Jan 27, 2018

If you die without a Will, the laws of intestancy will control and your mother will be one of your heirs. You should prepare a Will leaving your assets to whoever you choose.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Elder Law and Estate Planning for Missouri on
Q: What can the family do to protect a family member who is mentally incapacitated (due to stroke) living with another

family member who is also mentally unstable?

Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister answered on Jan 27, 2018

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. You could petition the Court for a guardian or a conservator to step in and make sure your family member is being cared for properly. If your family member is in immediate danger of some sorts, obviously call the police. Getting a guardian or conservator... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Missouri on
Q: My parents have a revocable trust with a former friend being having the power of attorney.

or myself what do we need to do to make that change and they also need to remove my brother from their will who has passed away?

Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister answered on Jan 27, 2018

Your parents will need to revoke their prior power of attorney and prepare a new one. As for the will, depending on how it is drafted, it may or may not need to be revised. For example, the will may say that your deceased brother's inheritance will pass to his heirs (most likely his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Missouri on
Q: My grandma passed away. My aunt went through the house and took everything out before will was read. What can I do?
Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister answered on Jan 27, 2018

Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this. What your aunt did was illegal, assuming she is not legally entitled to the items. If she will not cooperate with you and return the items so that they can be distributed pursuant to the will, I recommend that you contact an attorney for legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Probate for Massachusetts on
Q: mom died, no will. I am only heir lived in house in her name. How do I get the house in my name?

House was in my mother's name, she passed away. I have lived with her my entire life in this house, my father, her only spouse, passed in 92. I am the only child, there is no one else with interest in the home. Mom owed no money to anyone except monthly utilities, one of which is already in... Read more »

Kristi Burmeister
Kristi Burmeister answered on Jan 27, 2018

Sorry to hear about your loss. You will likely need to go through probate to get the house titled in your name. You should check with a MA attorney to see if an attorney is needed for probate. Some states require it. Even if your state doesn't require an attorney, an attorney can... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.