Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Keith Armstrong
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: My sister is dying very quickly and she wants to give her house to her son. She has no will. Is there something we can

have her sign real quick before she dies?

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on May 23, 2022

Yes, she can gift the house to her son with a Quit Claim Deed. She can also do a Transfer on Death Deed. Lastly, she can create a living trust with her son as beneficiary. All of these will avoid probate, but the Transfer on Death Deed gives you the most bang for the buck. I would seek an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Estate Planning and Probate for Washington on
Q: I am the creditor to a court ordered instalment plan where the debtor has died. Most likely no will

His partner at time of debts til present, knew he was borrowing money from me and also benefited from it. She also helped in lying about his living arrangements and conditions of bail for his 5criminal charges dealing with a minor. How do I collect this debt?

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on May 4, 2022

Creditor, you may want to make a claim against the estate of the debtor and send written notice to the surviving partner. If the debt was in the company capacity, then the company should be responsible for paying. If the debt was made in his personal capacity, then his estate should pay for the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Washington on
Q: Grandmother passed in WA 2013. Executor never contacted me but siblings and cousins inherited. How do I see the will?

Executor is in AK, where I also live. I do not know if I should have been contacted or if I should have inherited. There was a will and I would like to see it. Executor has always been unresponsive.

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on Apr 27, 2022

Alaska Native. It would depend on what your grandmother's Will says to determine if you should have received notice or inheritance. If no Will, then her heir (her children/spouse) would inherit under intestate laws. No grandchildren would automatically be included, could be, but not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Washington on
Q: Dad passed away with no will, Do I have to go through probate?

The only heirs are me and my sister, she's in another state and cannot come down to washington. my dads house is paid off and I want to keep the house. my sister has agreed to sign a waiver to give me the house. Do I have to still go through probate? If I do, do I have to go through personal... Read more »

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on Mar 16, 2022

Hi, Washington resident. Since this estate has real estate, you will have to go through probate. You make arrangements to keep the house, but there needs to be some funds to pay for the probate costs and possible tax return. Something has to be sold from the estate to proceed with paying for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Washington on
Q: Does surviving spouse need to contest will to receive money from sale of home and property ?

Married 17 years in state of washington he passed April 8, 2021. Probate still not closed being handled by his daughters.

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on Jan 28, 2022

Portland Spouse: Under WA law, you, the surviving spouse would inherit 1/2 of the estate regardless of what the Will says. The deceased spouse only has the right to Will 50% of his estate. You get the other half without question. If there are children as your case, they would inherit the other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Washington on
Q: Owner of a property died. What paper does his living son need to file in Probate court to put the property in his name

I purchased a property in Tokeland saying that it had a private Well to supply water my water. 3 1/2 years after the sale it has been determined that my water actually comes from an Artesian Well on someone else's property, ( not disclosed in the real estate documents ). The owner of this... Read more »

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on Jan 25, 2022

Hi, Aberdeen resident. This is a tricky situation because it deals with who has authority and who has not. First, your access to the water may need some thought so that you can continue water access. There is a good chance you can continue with an agreement with the deceased's estate.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: Hi there, my dad recently passed away and he has no estate but has debt. If i inherit his car, can they come after it?

No other assets, but a bunch of personal loan debt. The car was owned free and clear and all the creditors have been notified of his death. I plan on doing an affidavit or inheritance soon, but I dont wNt to get sued by the creditors for the vehicle. Can they come after it to force me to liquidate... Read more »

Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong answered on Jan 9, 2022

Hi, Spokane heir. If your father did not have a Will, you may inherit the car, but under Washington law, all of the debts of your father's estate and all of the assets (owned and controlled by him) are available to pay creditors. All of the creditors must have a chance to get paid from the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.