Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alaska Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: My neighbor keeps smoking in their apartment and it is affecting my children's health, they have constant coughs.

Not only that all of our stuff reaks like smoke from it. The landlord provided us with an air purifier afyer we complained wich did absolutely nothing . Our lease says its a non smoking apartment. We have messaged them multiple times about the smell and secondhand smoke. Still is happening. Also... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: What are my options in the following scenario. Landlord claims I have abandoned my rental unit and threw out my stuff.

No judgements were entered. No eviction filed. Only threats of " its in corporates hands" completely blocked me from entering my home and threw away all of our family's belongings, meanwhile slandering our name to all of the other tenants .

Robert King Reges Jr.
Robert King Reges Jr.
answered on Jan 31, 2022

Was this a residential unit or a commercial unit? Residential rentals are controlled by the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (URLTA). You can find that online with the search words "Alaska URLTA." It tells you in plain terms your rights and obligations. If the unit was... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Alaska on
Q: Failure to pay for storage on a boat storage lot

I am assisting a friend that allows boat storage on his property. He has 2 boats that have been on his lot for over 24 months with no contact by the boat owners. What statutes or procedures address contacting the owners and or seizing the boats absent payment of the back rent. There is no... Read more »

Alberto J. Castaner Esq.
Alberto J. Castaner Esq.
answered on Jun 18, 2020

Good afternoon:

You must look into Alaska state law for available remedies. If the contract was purely for land storage and no maritime services were rendered, maritime law would not apply and the land owner may not seize (or arrest) the vessel in federal court under admiralty procedures....
Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: my landlord stole the car she sold us and is now evicting us what should we do

The car is still in her name but we have a bill of sale and title with her signature. She has also been harassing us and she had the neighbor slash my sisters tires

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: Does landlord have rights to show my rental to possible rent to own people? Am in 3rd year of lease

Saw the ad on Craigslist never got notice from landlord

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Feb 11, 2018

Yes, If your landlord wants to show the premises to potential tenants or buyers, he or she can do so after giving you reasonable notice.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for Alaska on
Q: In court language anchorage ak what does just 3AN-P mean or represent.
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Aug 11, 2017

It could be part of the case number.

3 = Third Judicial District

AN = Municipality of Anchorage

P = probate (?)

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: Is it legal for a landlord to start an eviction process if rent is being withheld due to chronic problems with premised?

Problems with the property that have been repeatedly notified to the landlord include: mold in window seal, leaking roof, holes in flooring and inadequate water pressure.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Jun 20, 2016

Yes, it is not legal to withhold rent because of such problems. Your remedy would be to sue the landlord to repair the premises.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska on
Q: I moved into an apt with my friend and her boyfriend. I was not on the lease.

They wanted my boyfriend to pay rent,but he doesn't live there just stays with me a couple times a week. When I said no,they told me if i didnt like it i could leave,so i did. Now they are demanding rent because i didnt give them 30 day notice. Am I liable for my share of the rent? I moved in... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on May 14, 2016

Yes, because you paid them some rent, they could demand that you continue to pay rent until you gave them notice of your intent to vacate. They were not entitled to lock you out. It appears, however, that they cured that "wrongful ouster" when the manager helped you get back in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.