Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Small Claims Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Employment Law, Collections and Small Claims for Florida on
Q: My wages were garnished but I don't make enough money to be garnished, what do I do?

I have multiple judgements against me from different debts but same law firm. I don't make enough money for my wages to be garnished and haven't in years. The law firm reached out to my employer and threatened that if they don't garnish my wages then they'll attempt to garnish... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Washington on
Q: Can someone include rate of inflation and court fees in small claims if years have passed in the state of Washington?

Asking for a friend: They loaned some money to a friend in the fall of 2021. Since then they have not seen any of the money paid back. They understood that for a while, the person was going through some financial troubles. There have been several attempts from my friend to communicate with the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for California on
Q: Statute of limitations on debt in California
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 29, 2024

In California, the statute of limitations on debt varies depending on the type of debt involved. For written contracts, including most types of loans and credit agreements, the statute of limitations is four years. This means that if a creditor or debt collector wants to file a lawsuit to collect... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Small Claims for Kentucky on
Q: Hello, I bought a Walker Coonhound from someone on Sunday night. They had posted this dog for auction on their facebook.

In the post they guy said the dog had a swollen milk gland but that it didn’t affect her. So I assumed it had seen a vet and he knew it would be fine. Well I won the bid and picked up the dog hours later. Not even 24HRS later this “swollen milk gland” AKA the females breast had tripled in... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for California on
Q: I have a room I rent in my home. A got an eviction for renter who is $5000 behind. He got a lawyer and want a jury trial
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 28, 2024

In California, tenants have the right to request a jury trial in eviction cases. This means that if you've initiated an eviction process against a tenant who is significantly behind on rent, and they've secured legal representation who has requested a jury trial, this is a legal option... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Got this email and not sure if it’s scam

Dear Debtor,

Alright, Get ready with your attorney to fight the case against the company because we are going to download your case file and you are going to be legally prosecuted in the Court House within a couple of days.

So don’t ignore our notification and kindly pay back your... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Michigan on
Q: I loaned someone $4000 with a signed and notarized promissory note. They are not in default. Do I have recourse?

I bought my home from him and he also abandoned his vehicle on my property.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Feb 29, 2024

Yes. You can sue them. The person will either answer and appear, or not. The judge will determine whether they are actually in default and if so, what the judgment amount is. It is then your responsibility to collect it legally. Unfortunately, you may find that the person who owes you this money... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Family Law for California on
Q: I was recently given a protection order by my girlfriend but it is imperative that I get my belongings back.

How do I go about getting my stuff from this person if the police won't do a civil standby?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 28, 2024

Under California law, if you have been served with a protection order, it's crucial to follow it strictly to avoid legal consequences. However, you still have the right to retrieve your belongings. If the police are unable to provide a civil standby, there are alternative steps you can take to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for California on
Q: How do you rid of a mechanical lein on your home?

My mom is about to get a mechanical lein placed on her home mid March. She hired a company to clean and insulate the attic valued at 7200.00. She did not sign a contract. I her son signed an agreement in good faith. So far they don't want to work with us. They want either two installments or... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 28, 2024

Under California law, a mechanic's lien is a security interest in the title to property for the benefit of those who have supplied labor or materials that improve the property. If a mechanic's lien is placed on your mother's home, it's crucial to address it promptly to avoid... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Small claims court Ohio

A sum is requested by the creditor say $3000. A judgement of $2500 was awarded and debtor paid in full. Under Ohio law, a judgment is meant to represent a 'final decision' between a creditor and a debtor.

If the creditor was dissatisfied with the decision of the Magistrate they... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Tennessee on
Q: On Feb 22. an uninsured driver hit my jeep. I am uninjured but would like to sue for pain/loss of value for my jeep.

I am not injured. I would like to sue for loss of value for my jeep, the day that I missed work and the overall stress of him hitting me in a new car with no insurance. He attempted to flee but was unable due to his car being physically hooked to my jeep. He demanded I settle with him before the... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Wyoming on


0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Small Claims for Texas on
Q: If my ex-wife filed a protective order from a different state all because she knows I’m taking her back to court over

The custody of our children to obtain or custody from my belief, or to be vindictive stay it information on the subpoena I received from county deputy answering information she would have no knowledge of

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Insurance Defense and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: In the State of Arizona, can you be sued for more than the amount of an original claim? ($4,500)

Would lawyers be required? If so, who pays the lawyer fees?

0 Answers | Asked in Lemon Law, Small Claims and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: What kinda law is violated: dealership allows individual to trade in truck that doesn’t belong to them?


person (volusia co) borrowing truck took it back to dealership. dealership (brevard co) allowed NOT ME to knowingly trade in MY (levy co) truck for a different one and allowed forgery of my signature … TWICE. i have repossessed vehicle... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for New York on
Q: Can Uber Connect (Package Service) Be Held Responsible for Sending “Prohibited” Packages from Point A to Point B?

Per Uber, it prohibits its customers to deliver illegal items, including large sums of money and recreational drugs, but it is a regular occurrence today. My elderly mother was recently scammed out of most of her life savings. Using a account, a caller (using AI technology) claimed to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Florida on
Q: This guy is using me for money what can I do
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
answered on Feb 23, 2024

You need to pick up the phone and call a lawyer. Look for a lawyer in your area who handles general practice. Justia has "Find a Lawyer" tab on the top, and you can try the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service.

When you do call, you need to be specific about who is using you...
View More

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Idaho on
Q: Court did not give judge virtual hearing evidence so case was denied, can I fight ruling?

It is regarding virtual hearings in Idaho. I have my filed copy, approval email from the court showing filed with file attached, and the court clerk as well as the TCA office confirming that they have all of my evidence. However, at the time of the hearing, the judge said he did not have it so... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Alaska on
Q: can a roommate move all of my belongings into a storage unit without my consent?

there was no formal eviction, we had gotten into a disagreement and i fled the residence. i had to leave all of my belongings, clothes, hygiene, everything. since i am essentially homeless, i have nowhere to store my things.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Landlord - Tenant for Texas on
Q: Can I sue my ex for keeping my possessions and not allowing access after wrongful eviction/writ of possession

I need to know if I have any grounds to be able to sue my ex boyfriend for both A.) wrongful eviction & B.) not allowing me my possessions, and then after being granted the eviction & writ-(due to the fact that he had the papers served to his place, and I never got any of them) he then... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Feb 22, 2024

In order to state a claim for wrongful eviction, you will need to plead and prove you were evicted based on your race, sex, national origin, disability or family status, or that the eviction was in retaliation against you for filing maintenance requests or complaints about the condition of the... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.