Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Delaware Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Delaware on
Q: What can I do

I have been renting an apartment from a man for 2 years now after 2 years with my special needs son (8).Now I find out hes not the landlord it's his apt through a goverment program with 0 rent and I've been paying $800 to him monthly. Now the Property manager found everything out and is... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: What does docket entry for the letter produced from cdqjmtd mean
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 31, 2023

"cdqjmtd" doesn't seem to be a commonly known acronym or term in the legal context, so it's challenging to provide a specific meaning for it. In legal proceedings, a "docket entry" is a brief note made on a court's official record (docket) that summarizes actions,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: We haven’t had water continuosely for a period of 5 months. They wont fix. What are my legal remedies.

Well water, pump in landlords basement. Some days water is off for 13 hours, it’s now a daily occurrence. I’ve mailed landlord a registered letter. Rent paid on time for 12 years. Do I put rent in escrow account? A friend of mine would have fixed it for them, they refused. They are now angry... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Apr 30, 2019

This is not (yet) a legal issue. This sounds like a problem best looked into by your county health department.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: I have a commercial lease. The landlord isn’t doing repairs that are needed. Can I withhold rent?

Took landlord 4 years to fix the water leak from roof. It’s been over a year and still hasn’t fixed ac upstairs or ceiling fans. No ac in main building only celling fans.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: Can my landlord keep my deposit for allegedly failing to give 60 days notice when I never renewed my lease?

I gave a 60 day notice to move out by the end of August. My landlord sent me a letter stating that they were keeping my deposit because a letter was hand delivered to me stating that my lease was being extended to the end of September. I never received this letter and based on the date of the... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: Does the landlord has the right to charge me $2,500 for an entire new AC unit replaced?

I didn't not change the filter.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Delaware on
Q: I have a bad mold issue. I have had it professionally tested and the results came back horrible. What is my next step?

The results for stratysbotrys and other toxic molds have came back in high numbers. I had swab samples and air testing both done. I have contacted the county, health department, fire marshal, attorney general and not one of them can seem to help me. My landlord is not cooperating with me at all... View More

Camille Brooks Ibrahim
Camille Brooks Ibrahim
answered on Jul 5, 2018

You can sue the landlord considering you were under his premises while the mold accumulated! That is a premises liability suit depending on the time frame the mold was formed.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: Servere rashes on body from well water. Told landlord 2 months ago and nothing was done. What rights do I have?

When i moved in 2 months ago, I informed my landlord that the water smelled off rotten eggs and chlorine. He said the chlorine feeder needed to be replaced. He never replaced it and now i have rashes on my neck hand eyelids face and nose. My wife and kids are constantly itching after showers. Can i... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: hello, yes i was a tenant that was paying rent to a lady that was subletting & not the real owner of the house .

she was not paying rent & she was going to be evicted . do i have a right to get my back rent & security dep. back.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: Early-terminated lease, paid 3+ months rent and non-ending. How can I push the landlord to re-rent it or reduce my loss?

I had lease with apartment landlord that auto renews 12-months after each term ending. After stay there 2 years 3 month, I early-terminated lease and moved out due to changing employer and relocation out of Delaware. The lease has about 9 months to go before expire. Now the landlord is requesting... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: My yearly lease ends at the end of this month & my landlord states i will automatically be placed on month to month..

He states if i am to find something else i must give 60 days notice. Is the correct? i did not sign another lease with him nor does it state in my original lease any of this. Please advise.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: Can my landlord require me to allow a potential "investor" access to the home if he is not there with him at the time?

My landlord is attempting to sell the property and is requiring that we allow an "investor" into the home even though he will not be there at the time that the investor will be there. Do I have to allow a stranger into my home?

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: Does the tenant pay for moving cost if the landlord needs them to move to a new unit due to extensive repairs.

The damage that needs repairing was not caused by the tenant.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: I am relocating and gave 30 days notice, is the landlord allowed to charge for early termination?

The landlord sent a mail that re-letting and renovation expense to prepare the apartment for new tenant equals to entire month rent. Basically they are saying there will be no refund of deposit.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: If the judge gave me 30 days to move and I can't what will happen
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
answered on Feb 20, 2017

If you've been served with a judgment to that effect (or were in present in court when the judge pronounced his judgment), you are subject to that order or judgment. If you fail to move out, the next step will be to serve you with a citation for contempt of court, which will order you to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: My lease expired in 2015. I'm month to month now. Do I still have to give 60 days notice? Or 30?

I'm in Delaware.

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman
answered on Jan 22, 2017

"Upon 30 days' written notice, which 30-day period shall begin on the first day of the month following the day of actual notice, the tenancy may be terminated...."

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: I almost fell through the porch of a home I've been renting for over 6yrs.Should I get an attorney?

This incident caused me to be home on short term disability. Immediately the landlord sent someone to do the porch, however he tore down the porch then died from a heroin overdose in July. To this date the insulation is exposed. I have not been able to pay my monthly rent due to only getting 60% of... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Oct 7, 2016

Get at least a consultation. Your case is tough because you lived there--didn't like it could've moved. Contact a member of the Delaware Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware on
Q: we moved out of rental property and left wood behind that we purchased told the owner we would be back later in month to

remove, owner asked if he could have 1/2 cord which gave at no cost . when we went back to get wood asked permission from new tenants which they gave now landlord is stating we trespassed and that he gets the wood Is this right?

Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
answered on Aug 22, 2014

He is wrong.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.