Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Consumer Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Kansas on
Q: Personal loan for girlfriends van

I took out a personal loan to buy my girlfriend a van it hasn’t been registered yet. But all of the paperwork is in her name only. Can I register this van in my name until she has paid me back

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents and Lemon Law for Ohio on
Q: My husband and I bought a used 2008 Chevy Colorado from budget Is carmart in Akron. We test drove it it looked great .

So we got a lian for $5000 gave budget car budget car mart 1200 down and thought we were fine. This was one month ago. When we got the E check they said we did need the evac fuse so we took it to Firestone and Firestone said they would not even put it on the lift because the frame was totaled on... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: I just found out the car I financed a year ago has a salvage title, this was not told to me. Illegal? I want money back

nothing is in my paperwork about a salvage title. I would not have bought the car if I knew it had a salvage title. All I want is to return the car and get all of my money back. Do I have a case? should I send a demand letter?

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Is a merchant responsible for furniture that falls apart after the one year warranty they supply?

Bob's Furniture Warwick RI. Leather couches peeling and flaking. Harmful to children and pets if eaten so I have to constantly vacuum to make sure there are no pieces on the floor.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Communications Law for Iowa on
Q: I bid on an item online,was awarded the bid and sent an invoice. I’m due to pick the item up today.

I’m being told 3 days later the online bidding had server issues and I was outbid. What’s my recourse.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Iowa on
Q: What do I do if i receive a note on my door that home is vacant or abandoned and locks are going to be changed ?

I plan on mowing and doing necessary yard work that needs done. Can they change my locks if i am occupying the property. I am in the process of foreclosure but am going to stop it by paying off all mortgage that I owe.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Small Claims and Copyright on
Q: Can a Third-party seller on Amazon use "gorilla glass" in their product description if its a replica manufactured by the

A third party seller on amazon used the description "gorilla glass" in their own manufactured replicated glass screen protector which is the main reason I purchased the product because it claimed it was GORILLA GLASS as well as the military grade metal phone protective case. When iI... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: How can I get the title if the previous owner never re sighns the title ? What are my options at this point ?

I purchased a used car from a dealership in Pensacola Florida in June. It's now September and I still don't have the title. The dealership claims to have sent the title to the wrong address. I have been waiting for five weeks for the dealership to redo the paperwork. They say they are... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for South Carolina on
Q: I bought a vehicle from an individual but she never transferred the title from the previous owner . What legal action.

What legal action can I take trying to contact no response.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Georgia on
Q: Can a credit union keep and not provide access to payroll direct deposits pending a fraud investigation?

I have been going through a fraud claim with my credit union in which 3 checks were deposited through their mobile scan method on another phone. Once the funds were available, the $4000 was transferred out of my account. Once it came back that the checks were faked, it put my account in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Legal Malpractice for Maryland on
Q: I was given 2 responses but I dont know how to respond directly. I signed with my current Attorney in Oct of 2019.

Came up with a plan - started paying the bankruptcy each month. Paid into it March through November of 2020. My attorney filed something incorrectly - case was dismissed for a month. Started getting calls from creditors. He corrected it - I'm back in the bankruptcy. Bankruptcy approved in Dec... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 16, 2021

You can get a second opinion from another experienced bankruptcy lawyer, who will need to review your case and the filings in it. If there is something new that can be done, other than what is being done, then they will tell you. If there was malpractice, then they can identify it for you and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice and Federal Crimes for California on
Q: If a lawyer separates settlement money from the awardee by investing the funds which end up being diverted is it legal?

Is the refusal to release the funds to the client by investing or stalling embezzlement?

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Sep 15, 2021

Sounds bad. The BAR can answer this for you, given more specifics.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Lemon Law for New York on
Q: NY business law section 198-B. My car sales person tells me there is no warranty on the used vehicle I'm buying, help?

I have inquired about an express warranty and mentioned that I've never heard of any "dealer" selling a car with out at least a small warranty protecting the consumer from expensive repairs for the first month (or so) after their vehicle purchase. He and one other employee both have... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Civil Litigation for Texas on
Q: Mentally unstable attorney, how to get my $30,000 back? He freaked out because I started to question his performance.

After 1 year, $30,00 in fees including a retainer he won't return, at an office appointment my (former) attorney refused to let me speak about my issues and concerns of his expensive yet very unproductive representation, including the inability to cure a court-ordered deposition. My major... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Texas on
Q: Lay man terms 15 USC 1662
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: Can a plat map be used as a road disclosure in closing documents, even though there is a abutting road disclosure

At closing we were not told about the retention pond and the private road. There was a abutting road disclosure. Nothing else. There was a line about you must join the HOA and follow the CCR. The CCR’s were not given prior to closing. Hidden in there was a line about the HOA being responsible for... Read more »

Barbara Billiot Stage
Barbara Billiot Stage answered on Sep 16, 2021

This is why it is so important to have your own real estate lawyer represent you in a transaction. You will now need one to review your closing documents, the HOA documents, your survey of your property and the neighborhood plat, which often attached to the HOA documents but not always. The HOA... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Arizona on
Q: I purchased items online AZ auction house. They state if not picked up in 2 days no item/no refund. is that legal?

The policy is stated on their auction pages. I simply forgot to pick my items up. I understand that I may not be able to get the items as they may have been re-auctioned off --- but do they have the right to keep my money because I forgot to show up within the stated 2-day pick up window? I went... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Alabama on
Q: It has been raining in my apartment due to storm damage over a year. Where can I get help with a matter like this?

I (we) have reached out to many people about this. Other tenants have been to the mayor ,sheriff and health department as a group. No one will come. Not even a bad area. We are right beside an elementary school. The Health Department wont come just this week after a year of calling did I finally... Read more »

Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau answered on Sep 16, 2021

If your apartment is uninhabitable and you have made the landlord aware and the landlord has failed to improve conditions and make the home habitable then you are allowed to break the lease and move. If you get sued by your former landlord for breaking the lease you will have a recognized defense.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.