Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maine Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Maine on
Q: Can you own a gun and use weed
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras
answered on Jun 30, 2022

Federal law prohibits anyone who is: "who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)" from possessing a firearm. This would include marijuana use because it is defined as a controlled substance... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Maine on
Q: How long does 1st appearance in Maine take? Can you go to bathroom in the middle? At what point are you considered done?
William T. Bly
William T. Bly
answered on Jan 17, 2020

There is a difference between an initial appearance and an arraignment. An initial appearance is reserved for felony charges. At that hearing, the judge will discuss the charges with you, ensure you understand the maximum penalties allowed by law (if convicted), set bail (if not already set) and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Maine on
Q: In Maine, at what point in the pre-trial process is a person released, and how would someone's bail be denied?

So to clarify my question a little more:

I'm a writer, and looking to do some research for my book. In it, someone is arrested on a felony, and the prosecution argues that he's dangerous and his bail should be denied.

So firstly: at what stage would the prosecution argue... View More

Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras
answered on Jan 11, 2020

The bail would be argued at the initial appearance.

If someone is granted bail they are released right away after the initial appearance.

Hope that helps. Thanks

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Maine on
Q: If a 17 year old boy commited simple arson but it was his first offence of arson how may years in jail will he get

He's 17 he's had probations and has gotten into trouble before but never with arson

Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras
answered on Nov 9, 2019

If he is charged as a juvenile, the maximum penalty could be a commitment to the juvenile jail until the age of 21. It does not mean he would receive this but that would be the maximum. If the State is able to bind him over and charge him as an adult, the maximum penalty for arson is 30 years in... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Legal Malpractice and Medical Malpractice for Maine on
Q: How to stop identity theft, mail theft and fraud, forgery, medicare/ins fraud, medical malpractice, deprivation of life

no equal protection by police depts sometimes not even a police report (concealment, aiding & abetting perpetrators), closed out cases sane day without investugatiob, targetting individual based on gender, class, discrimination, retaliation, intentional harm, professional misconduct, failure... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jun 3, 2018

I am sure they think you are mentally ill. You need to prove them wrong. You need to seek out a psychiatrist they know nothing about and have at least three sessions. Then provide the authorities with the proof and they may listen to you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.