Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania on
Q: I have an audio recording of my lawyer for breaking the law. Can I sue him?

I am an epileptic. My audio device accidentally recorded my lawyer make an agreement to lose my case. On the FIRST morning of the lawsuit trial between me and the defendant, my lawyer and the defendant's lawyer were a short distance away from me. I have a little brain damage and was medicated.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Legal Malpractice and Contracts for Arizona on
Q: Hello, My question is, is it legal for a family member or anyone else to become an gaurdian without the person being

Without the person knowing? For some reason I couldn't finish my question.

Thank you

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Sep 21, 2021

In an emergency situation it would be possible to obtain a temporary guardianship without the person's knowledge. A permanent guardianship would not likely be granted without having the ward appear before the Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: Can I sue a free legal aid lawyer for failure to deliver legal services and working/talking with the plaintiffs attorney

She failed to go to my court date to emergency xparte to appeal a judge's default decision on a unlawful detainer due to my absence on the original court date. She then later mislead me by saying that the judge wouldn't appeal his decision even tho my landlord hadn't gave me any... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

You are entitled to terminate your relationship with your attorney at any time. Sorry to hear you are having such problems regarding your living situation at this difficult time. Legal Aid attorneys usually deal with defending indigent people (people who cannot pay for legal services) against... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Legal Malpractice for South Carolina on
Q: What are my rights as an indigent individual in SC who has a current family court order but cannot find legal help

Court order needs reviewed by an expert to prove negligence and misconduct. Child support is not based on true income. Did not abide by the rules of discovery. My lawyer altered several clauses in my final court order without my knowledge and or consent. One being an absolute restraining order. My... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Legal Malpractice and Workers' Compensation for Minnesota on
Q: Are mandatory tip pooling and taking away tips from others if unsatisfied with the work legal?

Employer is doing madatory tip pooling, along with giving our tips to the following morning shift if not satisfied by our work at the end of the night. The daughter of the owner's works mainly morning shift almost everyday. Most of the emplyees are minors including me. There are about 18... Read more »

Paul Lelii
Paul Lelii answered on Sep 20, 2021

You should make your parents aware of this matter and if they choose, they can call me to discuss your options. Another avenue is to have your parents contact the MN Department of Labor and Industry's wage and hour division. Hope that helps.

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: EMT could not perform job detail and worsened my injury

after 2 calls to 911 and aprox. 25 min, 2 5 foot female EMT and one firefighter arrived. I live 5 blocks from firehouse. the ambulance came from another county two towns away. They never gave me medical attention on site. they pushed and nudged my shoulder to get up and walk to their gurney, which... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

Sorry to hear that your medical condition caused you pain. What you have is a potential "Governmental claim" and you should seek the assistance of a local Personal Injury attorney. You have a limited time to file a "Government claim form" against the agency that provided the EMTs.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Legal Malpractice and Municipal Law for Colorado on
Q: Who can i contact when exculpatory evidence is being ignored in a criminal case and other corruption can be proven?

Basically there is proof on surveillance that the crime being accused of was not committed by the person accused, amongst other things that are being ignored in order to dismiss the case.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Kansas on
Q: at court the other evening the cop who was sworn under oath committed perjury who do I contact about that?

the officer said he pulled me over when I was actually parked already, he had been called for a child custody

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Legal Malpractice for Maryland on
Q: I was given 2 responses but I dont know how to respond directly. I signed with my current Attorney in Oct of 2019.

Came up with a plan - started paying the bankruptcy each month. Paid into it March through November of 2020. My attorney filed something incorrectly - case was dismissed for a month. Started getting calls from creditors. He corrected it - I'm back in the bankruptcy. Bankruptcy approved in Dec... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Sep 16, 2021

You can get a second opinion from another experienced bankruptcy lawyer, who will need to review your case and the filings in it. If there is something new that can be done, other than what is being done, then they will tell you. If there was malpractice, then they can identify it for you and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice and Federal Crimes for California on
Q: If a lawyer separates settlement money from the awardee by investing the funds which end up being diverted is it legal?

Is the refusal to release the funds to the client by investing or stalling embezzlement?

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Sep 15, 2021

Sounds bad. The BAR can answer this for you, given more specifics.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Legal Malpractice for Maryland on
Q: Currently in an active chapter 13 and I'm pretty sure my attorney royally screwed up. I need to know if I have a case.

If so - I want all my debt cleared and mine and my spouses credit score back to the 700's. If you are willing to look at my case - please let me know. I really could use some help

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Sep 15, 2021

No one an give you an opinion on this board without reviewing your case. And even if your attorney "screwed up royally" there is not way to get your credit score to the 700s.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania on
Q: Did my lawyer break the law?

A few days before my lawsuit trail my lawyer explained to me that he had an agreement with the defendant's lawyer. Whichever side lost would not appeal the jury decision. Our side lost; right after the jury's choice was heard I was reminded there could be no appeal.

Was that... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2021

If you wanted to do anything as to the attorney your time ran two years ago (assuming the trial was four years ago). It's not unusual to have agreements like that but usually they are tied to something called a high/low where if you lose you get the minimum, if you win, you only get up to the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for Kentucky on
Q: Hello, my name is Joseph.I am seeking advice about my brothers' death.

Here is an extremely brief explanation of the reason I am seeking advice. On August 12th, 2021, I received a phone call informing me that my 21 year old brother Brett had been shot in the head in Pineville KY off of highway 192. My wife and mother went with me to the scene. There were two Bell... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Legal Malpractice on
Q: my sponsor has withdrawn my PR without my noticedon't know the reason for cancelling. he is in Canada and not responding

I need help to address this issue as I'm the applicant

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Sep 14, 2021

PR generally refers to Permanent Resident. That being said, you question makes no since.

0 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Georgia on
Q: In Georgia, is it legal to substitute a party with out filing a motion?

I have recently discovered a 'substitution of a party' wherein there was no 'motion of substitution' filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Wyoming on
Q: If my brother died by suicide while on probation and in treatment, can we sue them for emotional damages?

They exacted a warrant illegally on my parents house, took kids with no cause, and convicted my mom and brother. Even though my brother admitted to all in the house, they still charged my mom n convicted her under coersion.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2021

This would be a tough case for a number of reasons dealing with proof, showing the cause was that and not an underlying issue. Suggest you contact the Wyoming Civil Liberties Union, ask for their prison rights group, ask them for the names of some of their "cooperating attorneys." Those... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I sue my lawyer for malpractice?

After their testimonies unwittingly showed their motor vehicle hit my bicycle, my lawyer did not question the defendant's witnesses over their words at their cross examinations. He also did not raise their statements at his closing argument before the jury! We lost the jury decision.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

The lawyer may have had tactical reasons for doing what he did. Jurors may have looked at other issues. Your attorney was, I assume under a contingent fee. He had every reason to do his utmost to win. If he and you believe it's against the weight of the evidence he can file an appeal. That... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania on
Q: What can I do when my attorney won't return my retainer?

I asked for the money back within 24 hours of payment. The attorney ignored me for a week, until I brought up matters of trust funds and attorney obligations in an e-mail. Then I was contacted almost immediately. Contract makes no mention of non-refundable and attorney agreed to return the funds.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

I suggest you drop off a written request or send one certified return receipt requested. Then contact the attorney-client dispute resolution committee of the bar association for the county where the lawyer practices.

0 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Texas on
Q: Can I legally serve non-alcoholic/alcohol removed (Less then 0.5% ABV) to minors without legal problems.

I want to sell mocktails and the mock liquors we use have less then 0.5% ABV.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.