Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maine Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maine on
Q: My ex just moved out and won't let me see my child, we have not filed for divorce yet through the court

I told my spouse I wanted a divorce, she moved out recently and now won't let me see my 1 month old child. She initially seemed amicable and I was hoping to have things sorted out prior to filing for the divorce but now she's changed her tune and we have no court custody agreement in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Maine on
Q: My boss threatened to punch me what do I do
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Sep 15, 2021

Provide a written complaint to your company's HR department regarding the incident so they can investigate.

0 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for Maine on
Q: can an executor not get a house appraised or list it while investing in home repairs and telling family she will buy it

executor sat on house for at least 18 months without listing for sale all the while using up decedents bank funds then sells house to her sister for less than she told probate judge she would buy it for then says she will buy it from sister later I have her text messages to prove it. Should i file... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Maine on
Q: how do I mount raw canvas to a wood panel
0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Family Law and Civil Rights for Maine on
Q: So, a kid at my school is 18 and he purchased a phone, but had it tooken away for punishment. Is that legal?

His parents are paying the service bill but he purchased the phone outright. They then took the phone because he got into a fight with a friend. Now, does that make it legal to take the phone of an adult 18 year old or not?

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Maine on
Q: My ex and i divorced amicably in 2012. In that agreement he is allowed to live in the family home until his death.

He died 8/29/2021. He also wrote this agreement in his will. Do i have to wait for probate to take possession. I will have to pay all bills associated after the date of his death.

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Maine on
Q: I was driving my moms car (in Maine) and I went through EZ pass lane without one. She does not have one.

I went through because I honestly thought that’s where you go if you don’t have money. Yes, being out of state in the south, I completely forgot about rolled highways. I tried to get cash to pay the tolls on the way back from the beach with my niece and my debit card declined. So I was truly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maine on
Q: Will a judge change a custody agreement if it means the other parent will lose his job?

I have my child every weekend and 1 week a month, my ex wife decided out of the blue that she now wants it one week on one week off so she gets weekends too. I work out of state during the week and take one week off every month. If this change goes through I will have to leave my job of 15 years.... Read more »

Robert Guillory Esq
Robert Guillory Esq answered on Sep 2, 2021

in my experience a judge would be unlikely to do this. if you say that you cannot take the child during the week the judge will not order you to lose your job. However the judge might very well order that mom gets some weekend time so you would have to decide if you want to ask for time during the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Criminal Law for Maine on
Q: Can a supervisor tell an employee to refuse a letter after the COO said it was okay for the employee to get the letter?

I’m the sender of the letter and the COO of the company said it was okay for me to send a letter to the employee but the employee’s direct supervisor will not allow it to reach the employee. Supervisor and employee work at different locations and Supervisor doesn’t have authority over the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Maine on
Q: ?? on power of attorney forms-

My husband is in a nursing home, w/advanced dementia. cannot talk or write. How do I handle a new power of attorney form, to cover everthing, if he cannot sign his name? Thank you, Paula

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Maine on
Q: Child support and daycare expenses

The NCP on our support case is requesting a child support review. He works part-time, his current wife is the main income earner. He has listed the full cost of his new daughter's daycare as an expense.

I understand his wife's income does not affect the amount of support he pays,... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Maine on
Q: can an HOA prohibit a political banner on property.
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine on
Q: I paid ( in full) a year long lease and my landlord died. Can the new owner evict before my paid lease is up?

They have already had a sheriff server everyone in nearby units, but we paid the whole year upfront.

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III answered on Aug 24, 2021

The answer will depend primarily if not exclusively on the terms of the lease, but the fact that you paid a year's worth of rent upfront may entitle you to remain in the leased property until the end of that period.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Maine on
Q: My entire family contracted Lyme disease in the yard of our rental property. There were multiple ticks in the grass yard

(Maine) Tenants were expected to mow the yard with equipment provided by landlord. We mowed frequently and there were still many ticks right in the yard. I informed landlord and he didn’t take any measures to control the ticks. (Spraying or other preventative measures.) We even relocated because... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 3, 2021

A Maine attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. This looks like it could be a difficult case. Although your family experienced a genuine ordeal, the problem could be in establishing the connection between the yard and the disease. Ticks are pervasive everywhere. I... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Maine on
Q: got a speeding ticket in maine. i live in ny and my licanse is from ny.but he wrote on the ticket that its from maine?

also he only filled in the first 7 numbers from the license like in maine and not 9 numbers like n.y.

should i write this when i send in the form to contest it or wait for the court?

0 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Maine on
Q: We own land that has the right of way from the street. Can another land owner change the easement and bridge without

conferring with us? They changed the grade and added a wood mat, which does not extend beyond bridge, it sits on top of the metal log bridge. They never spoke to us before doing this. This is part of the easement over our land. Land is in Oxford County, Maine. Thank you.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Maine on
Q: Boyfriend and my name on deed but mortgage in my name. If we sell house, does he get money?

He brought no cash to the table and it is all my money. Mortgage is in my name only

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III answered on Aug 17, 2021

I would need to know more facts, but the answer is probably yes because he is a co-owner of the property. An important question is how do the two of you hold title to the property - as tenants in common or joint tenants? You should consult with an experienced Maine real estate lawyer who can review... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Maine on
Q: We bought a camp from family. They insisted on having rights to use the property. It isn’t working snd we want to change

We bought the property above appraised value. It allowed his aunt snd uncle (the owners) her two kids and grandchild lifetime use. For up to two weeks. The cousin has basically moved in. If we sell the house to ourselves or a trust can we get them off the use agreement?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 13, 2021

Not exactly sure of your situation, but straw deeds are not going to extinguish life estates in the chain of title. Apparently you have the remainder after their life estates and/or you did not have a competent attorney to draft that deed. Hire one now to search the title and determine the... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.