Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Small Claims legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Maine Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Small Claims for Maine on
Q: Insurance claim after small claims court

I took a contractor to small claims due to faulty work. He did submit a claim with his insurance but denied responsibility. Insurance said they can't do anything until judgement. I requested judgement for the money I paid him (I didn't know I was supposed to submit damages then). I did... View More

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Mar 29, 2023

I don't see why not. Does the judgment you received indicate how much the Defendant owes you? I am not sure what you mean by you "didn't get payment for the cost of them."

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Maine on
Q: What are my options for getting out of this cosign situation?

I cosigner a car loan a few years ago with my girlfriend at the time. We broke up, and she refused a pay it, and has been on the run to stop ot from getting repossessed. I can't afford to pay it. What are my options? I live in maine.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Nov 26, 2022

Find the car, repossess it if your name is on it, then sell it and pay the proceeds on the loan. There’s really no other way for you to get out from paying its. If your name is not on the title, then you’ll need to sue her to resolve this.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Maine on
Q: I have a question about the sale of a “park model trailer.


Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Apr 13, 2020

I think the answer here will likely boil down to the language of the sales agreement. How does it define the property that was sold? Does it say anything about whether the propane in the tank was included? If there is no applicable language, you would probably turn to the typical course of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Lemon Law and Small Claims for Maine on
Q: I purchased a mobile home. In Maine to be moved to nh. During the process of getting a mover.

During the process of getting a mover. They moved I to another part of there property. I since had two moving companies tell me it's not movable. I told the people I bought the trailer from that I can't move it so I need my money back and they are telling me no. Well just bought the... View More

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Aug 18, 2019

If you have a written agreement with the seller for the purchase of the mobile home, that should be consulted first. If there is no written agreement or if there is one, but the written agreement fails to address this situation, did you explain to the seller before you purchased the mobile home... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Maine on
Q: What if I discover the amount of my claim is over the maximum figure small claims allows after I filed a claim? Can I

refile in regular court?

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Nov 5, 2018

Yes, you should ordinarily be able to voluntarily dismiss your small claims court action and refile it in the proper court (depending on what stage the small claims proceedings are at). The other option to consider is waiving the amount of your claim that exceeds the small claims court limit... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Maine on
Q: The man I had a verbal agreement with to grow my 6 plants on his land is now not allowing me to harvest my crop.

He answered a Craigslist ad I put out, I've got texts showing our working relationship & pics of me on his property w the plants.

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Nov 3, 2018

Assuming you can prove that a valid contract was formed, you can likely sue for your damages, but you will need to provide evidence supporting the amount of any damages you claim. It is probably unlikely that you could sue for specific performance unless no other remedy (such as an award of money... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.