Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Florida on
Q: Am I responsible for a credit card debt that is solely on my wife name ? Also can the merchant go after my name ?
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman answered on Dec 3, 2021

No. If the owner of the credit card is your wife and you are not a co-owner, then you are not liable to the card issuer.

0 Answers | Asked in Collections for Texas on
Q: I was mailed a judgement that was reopened after 10 years from a Financial Company. I don't know the original debtor???

A writ of execution was signed. I don't have anything to sell to pay what they say I owe. Again, I don't even know what the original debt was. It is from BlueBonnet Financial. I'm not sure what to do. I was ready to start a home buying process, but not sure how this will effect that.... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Collections and Small Claims for Florida on
Q: I am being sued by a collection agency for FingerHut. Court date 12-14. What can I do

I am a single mom and a student full time, and looking for a part time job, I have had quite a few obstacles the last few years and I am trying to move forward. The bill is for 1200, and I can not pay it, maybe a payment plan. I just need some help and I do not know what else to do.

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman answered on Dec 3, 2021

Call the attorney who filed the suit or the person who signed it and try to arrange a payment plan.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Indiana on
Q: If my ticket goes to collection will I be issued a bench warrant?Or a warrant period?I dont have the$ and it's due 4days

I was in a car accident that was deemed not my fault. But because my insurance had relapsed the month prior ( I was working food delivery to keep in income when the accident happened) I havent had the money to pay it. Its 12/2 and it's due by 12/6. Should I just go to the traffic court before... Read more »

Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett answered on Dec 3, 2021

If your case is an infraction and you do not pay by the deadline the court should not issue a warrant, though I have seen it done. However, your license would most likely be suspended. You should file a motion with the court requesting more time to pay and state your financial issues with paying... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Collections for Florida on
Q: Hello I was sick with COVID and fell behind on HOA assessments and dues. HOA had now referred me to their attorney.
Jane Kim
Jane Kim answered on Dec 2, 2021

HOA rules attach legal fees. Unless that lawyer feels bad for you, you'll be expected to pay the past due amount plus legal fees. Sorry.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights and Collections for Georgia on
Q: Will they cancel the hearing since the employer told them I don't work there and never have?

Hello, I am unemployed and have been for many many years due to a health disability. I have absolutely no income at all, no disability/unemployment, nothing. I recently received a garnishment letter from a court in a different county from where the original judgement was issued, stating I was... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Iowa on
Q: I have a judgement and need to know what I need to file to collect by taking non exempt personal property in Iowa.

I filed a pracipe for general execution. What do I need to file for the sheriff to execute on his personal property like motorcycle? I think he ll pay me if they take the motorcycle.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Elder Law for Virginia on
Q: My father was a victim of fraud I am now his POA. I need to obtain legal assistance to sort through corrective action.

My father was involved in a Publishers Clearing House scam. Police reports were filed and now receiving numerous letters from attorneys to pay back credit card debt. Need significant assistance to navigate.

Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger answered on Nov 26, 2021

Many credit card companies have some type of fraud department that investigates these claims, but if not, I'm sure you could hire a lawyer to respond to the attorneys who are reaching out. I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help and will need to see the letters you've... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections, Elder Law and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: My grandfather passed away last year. My mother is executor of his estate. My grandmother is alive. He had a will.

I was supposed to receive an inheritance. My mother claims that I cannot receive that until my grandmother passes away. My brother received a new truck and boat that I’m aware of. Is she lying to me ? I have a distant relationship with my mom, but it just seems as though she is flat out lying to... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 26, 2021

You can take a look at the will yourself. Go to the probate court and request a copy.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking, Collections and Elder Law for Utah on
Q: Is the surviving spouse responsible for the debts of the deceased spouse
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Nov 22, 2021

Yes and no. Nor for personal debts, student loan debts, credit card debts etc. but yes to medical bills. The creditors have a right to make a claim against his estate and the estate has an obligation to pay it as long as the assets in the estate are over and above the exemption amount. The... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for North Carolina on
Q: I have hospital bill that I have been making payments for several months and they have accepted. Now is in collection.

Sent to collections without this legal ?

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on Nov 24, 2021

Unfortunately, yes. At the time this bill was issued there was no requirement that a creditor warn you before sending an account to collections, even if they accepted what you could afford to pay for months. No creditor has any legal obligation to accept partial payments and they always have the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Massachusetts on
Q: I would like assistance with a demand letter and lawsuit against an unlicensed plumber.

I hired a plumber to complete a basement bathroom install, install a five-unit minisplit system, a new heating zone and several smaller projects that would require permits. I recently found that he has not been licensed since 2016. He left a lot of damage in my home and all of the projects he... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.