Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Tax Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Maine Tax Law Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Tax Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Maine on
Q: Q: File bankruptcy or hire a debt company like freedomdebtrelief (d0t) com? Unemployed, 61yrs w/~54k in cc debt.

Unemployment runs out before I can collect social. I have no 401k or savings, I can't pay the minimums and don't know even know which debt companies are reputable? Does using a debt company prevent me from applying another recourse later?

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
answered on Dec 19, 2022

I've had several clients tell me that they've tried "debt relief" companies, but none were happy with the results (if any).

The going rate for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, for attorneys fees plus court costs, is about $2,000, for a simple, straightforward case....
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Maine on
Q: My mother has been taking care of some rental property for a man who is now deceased. What can she do to take ownership?

She lives in Maine, has been paying the taxes on the property and isn't sure if the deceased man has any family.

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
answered on Nov 27, 2020

I am sorry, but I do not think your mother has any right to take ownership based on her paying the taxes on the property. If she is interested in finding out who owns the property now, then she should check the local registry of deeds records to see if the deceased man owned the property in only... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Maine on
Q: I was paid under the table for seven months when I was 16-17yo and didn’t know I had to file taxes. what can I do?

When I was 16 my mother passed away and I took work on a local farm (Maine). They paid me under the table for 7 months and I made less than 4000$. I didn’t know until this morning I had to report this and file taxes. I’m scared I broke the law here and need help. I want to work in law... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Apr 10, 2020

Really? Let me get this straight: Just after you learned that the federal government was getting ready to send out $1,200 checks to everyone who filed their 2018 tax return and paid their taxes you suddenly felt a need to "come clean" about not reporting some $4,000 that you admittedly... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Maine on
Q: Does a Roth IRA conversion affect eligibility for Health care premium tax credit?

My spouse was not working in 2019, so we needed a premium tax credit to pay for health care coverage. I also converted an IRA to a Roth IRA (apx value: $80k). I understood I would have to pay taxes on this amount, but I did not expect this type of income would be counted towards my ability to pay... View More

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Mar 24, 2020

It's income.

Probably would have been a good idea to hire a professional to advise you before you made a big decision.

Nothing to be done at this point, you can't just put it back.

Call your representatives and tell them to change title 26 of the US code....
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.