Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Business Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Business Law for New York on
Q: I have a small cleaning business in NY and I want to send people out to clean.

At this point, I don't have a large clientele, so I would like to take on people as I get the jobs, like gigs. It seems like the best way to go would be to take them on as independent contractors instead of employees until I have more steady work for them. How would I go about this and what... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba answered on Jan 17, 2022

They will be your part-time or as needed employees. You will need to insure them as such and withhold taxes for them and comply with all DOL laws.

If they were independent they would have their own cleaning businesses, would advertise, would have their own business websites or bank accounts...
Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Alabama on
Q: I have an LLC for my online e-commerce store that was formed in the state of Georgia. Do I have to form a new LLC if I..

I have an LLC for my online e-commerce store that was formed in the state of Georgia. Do I have to form a new LLC if I am living & working out of state temporarily?

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Business Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I work in the IT dept for a physician group in MA. Can I be ordered to setup an old billing/EMR system in a DRs home?

the group i work for purchased a small practice that has an older EMR/Billing system. The owner of the practice, that now works for us, worked out a deal with the President to serve any requests from the old system from his home. This is not what we have done in the past. I don't know what is... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Business Law for Georgia on
Q: My sales person proposed to get paid 5% from contract's Term Value for the next 5 years. We dont know the value..

We dont know the value of the contract (relationship that he'll bring to the table).. We dont know how many deals will be structured with this customer, but he is insisting on using Term Value for this relationship... What does it really mean ?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: Where does it say in California law that a trustee must maintain trust assets (i.e. rental property for beneficiary)?

In this situation, rental income is to be used for the beneficiary's Special Needs Trust. There is a home that needs to be cleaned and rented yet the trustee has not done anything to take control of the property, clean and get it back on the rental market. I feel this is a breach of his... Read more »

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik answered on Jan 17, 2022

Anyone, with good reason, can petition the court to have the trustee replaced. Failure to fulfill the fiduciary duties is a good reason for replacement.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Federal Crimes and Trademark for Alabama on
Q: Is it against the law to use the name of a government program to market advice and sell services?

My company helps military veterans with their benefits and provides counseling for them to make sure they are receiving the maximum benefits they are entitled to. Would it be against the law if I bought a domain such as (Just a random example not the actual domain) and... Read more »

Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp answered on Jan 17, 2022

The names of government agencies and programs are essentially trademarks or service marks, and are infringed if private entities promote goods or services with confusingly similar names.

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law for California on
Q: I am a partner in a corporation. The board members are refusing to provide me with board minutes. What are my options?

I am a partner in a 10 member corporation. The board members are refusing to provide me with board minutes, as I suspect lot of illegalities going on. What are my options?

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law for California on
Q: fired from job after divulging religious beliefs against vaccine mandate on remote job in CA. Do I have a case?

I've been working remotely from Las Vegas, NV, and have been since the pandemic started. The company I worked for is in California. We were told to get vaccinated by December 3rd 2021, and I didn't. I have a religious reason for not doing so, and had told them so in multiple emails, even... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law for Ohio on
Q: I tried getting my repossessed car today. After paying the contract amount fully, the tow low will not let me get my car

I paid the full contract amount from car company. And they are saying I still owe $375 in fees, but this has not been written on any contract.

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: Compensation based on Term Contract Value

Q: I have a problem with "Term Contract Value" as its worded. Objective - pay 5% on all revenue generated from a lead for 5 years only.

Any business leads introduced to the Company by Consultant and contracted with by Company substantially as a result of Consultant’s efforts... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Land Use & Zoning for Colorado on
Q: What are the requirements for commercial growing outside? Do you have to grow in a greenhouse or covered structure?

I have a large plot of land in Colorado that I would like to start growing commercially on.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Business Law on
Q: 17yrs with company. My department was recently acquired by another company who made us have to sign new hire

agreement, under duress (if we want to continue to be employed). So now have no benefits that are based on any tenure as we're new hires.(401k has to be vested, any policies that require x amount of time)

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright and Intellectual Property for Florida on
Q: I want to recreate old jewelry (1800s) with slight mods to brand and sell. Would this be a copyright violation?

I like discovering strange vintage pieces and I don't necessarily want to make "replicas" as I do want to make some alterations to the antique designs/make them more modern/brand-able. I just want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes/ violating some... Read more »

Robert Kost
Robert Kost answered on Jan 14, 2022

Jewelry is copyrightable, but from your description its copyright has long since expired. See:

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Employment Discrimination for Georgia on
Q: I was given the job offer and attended orientation and then told I will not be hired right after because drug test?

I filled out all the paperwork, attended the orientation for 3-4 hours, and as soon as I got home from the orientation I was called and told my drug test came back positive and I would not be hired. Is it legal to not compensate me for the time spent after being clocked in?

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Can a city implement a tariff on local, commercial boat operation?

We pay dockage fees to the city we operate a commercial boat tour business out of. The city wants to implement a tariff based on the number of passengers we serve. The city is putting together a policy for tariffs based on foreign cruise ships set to visit our city, which makes sense. Is it legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Texas on
Q: I want to file my DBA, can I shorten my DBA name or do I have include the entire name?

ie. The Bakery Shop vs The Bakery Shoppe Cupcakes & Treats

Jaime Victor Papa
Jaime Victor Papa answered on Jan 12, 2022

Yes, you can shorten your DBA name or use an entirely different name. I often work with clients to help them with this process.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Maryland on
Q: would i be able to sue a dealership for giving false info about promo going on

We called the dealership to get information before going so that if we didn't meet criteria then we wouldn't waste our time. So they told us over the phone that we didn't have to worry about our credit being ran, we would only have to pay $88 as a down payment, and the monthly... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Jan 13, 2022

You can complain to the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's office and they will investigate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.